archive-edu.com » EDU » C » COLUMBIA.EDU

Total: 1435

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".

  • 170 156 Manuscripts and Archives 236 640 243 114 245 118 247 409 249 750 251 344 253 497 Cartographic Materials 138 695 139 128 140 021 140 199 142 568 144 996 145 825 Graphic Materials 814 224 864 228 871 581 879 369 889 791 895 696 900 276 Total Circulation 1 132 643 1 101 127 922 081 882 708 868 400 728 692 884 439 Total

    Original URL path: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/opir/abstract/opir_libraries_1.htm (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Index
    Officers of Instruction Officers of Research Benefits and Family Services Obligations and Responsibilities of Officers of Instruction and Research Student Officers of Instruction and Research Visiting Scholars Scientists and Seminar Associates University Libraries and Information Services University Resources and Services

    Original URL path: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/vpaa/handbook/ (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Planning and Institutional Research Office of the Provost
    annual publication summarizing essential information about the University s history governance faculties enrollment and financials No longer distributed in paper form FACTS is available here as a pdf for download 2015 PDF 2014 PDF 2013 PDF 2012 PDF 2011 PDF 2010 PDF 2009 PDF 2008 PDF 2007 PDF Main menu Home Statistical Abstract Other Resources Office of the Provost Schools News Help A Z Index Search Submit 401 Low Library

    Original URL path: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/opir/facts.html (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Prospective Undergraduate Students | Columbia University in the City of New York
    Jerome Greene Hall the main building within the Law School complex has been home to the School of Law since 1960 The School which was founded in 1858 is one of the oldest in the United States Its graduates include U S presidents Supreme Court justices senators governors and other high ranking government officials leading human rights advocates legal scholars entrepreneurs and other corporate leaders It is home to many of America s most distinguished legal academics and the site of one of the finest law libraries in the world Max Abramovitz and Wallace Harrison designed the building Among his many buildings Harrison is perhaps most widely known for leading an international team of architects that designed the United Nations headquarters Casa Italiana Casa Italiana Casa Italiana one of three New York City landmarks on campus is home to the Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America It is one of many buildings on campus designed by the renowned architectural firm of McKim Meade and White It was restored in 1993 based on the designs of Italian architect Italo Rota of Paris and Milan and Samuel E White of Buttrick White Burtis of New York Founded in 1991 on the basis of an agreement between the Republic of Italy and Columbia University the Academy promotes advanced research in all areas relating to Italian history and society In addition it seeks to establish a high level of academic and cultural exchange between Italy and the US International Affairs Building International Affairs Building The International Affairs Building houses Columbia s School of International and Public Affairs SIPA Founded in 1946 SIPA offers interdisciplinary masters degree programs in international affairs and in public policy and administration Several certificate programs are also offered The building houses seven regional institutes including the Weatherhead East Asian Institute the Harriman Institute for the study of Russia and the former Soviet republics as well as centers devoted to the study of Human Rights the United Nations and Urban Research and Policy The Economics and Political Science departments and the Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy are also located here as is the Lehman Library for the Social Sciences Schermerhorn Hall Schermerhorn Hall Construction on Schermerhorn began in 1896 An inscription above the entrance reads For the advancement of natural science Speak to the earth and it shall teach thee The centers and departments located in this building include African American Studies Anthropology Art History and Archaeology Geology Psychology Women s Studies the Miriam Ira D Wallach Fine Arts Center and the Center for Environmental Research and Conservation Franz Boas founded the nation s first department of anthropology here in 1899 Graduates from this program include pioneering cultural anthropologists Ruth Benedict and Margaret Mead Schermerhorn is well known in science circles as the site of Thomas Hunt Morgan s drosophila experiment which laid the foundation for modern genetics and helped him earn the Nobel Prize in 1933 Uris Hall Uris Hall Uris Hall serves as the main building for Columbia Business School which offers MBA Executive MBA and PhD programs as well as short term non degree courses for executives The school s location in the business and financial capital of the world and its relationships with global business and academic leaders make it one of the premier schools for graduate business education The school also shares a new building on Amsterdam Avenue with the School of Law Schapiro Center Schapiro Center The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science occupies a cluster of buildings on the north end of the campus the Schapiro Center for Engineering and Physical Science Research pictured shared with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences the Seeley Wintersmith Mudd building which is home to the Botwinick Gateway Laboratories a state of the art facility for computer aided design the Computer Science Building and Engineering Terrace The School offers bachelors masters and doctoral degrees in applied physics and applied mathematics biomedical engineering chemical engineering civil engineering and engineering mechanics computer science earth and environmental engineering electrical engineering industrial engineering and operations research and mechanical engineering Pupin Hall Pupin Hall Pupin Hall is home to the Physics and Astronomy departments The building is named after Michael I Pupin a graduate of Columbia College and a professor at the University for more than 30 years Pupin was an active inventor and patented many of his ground breaking inventions including a method of rapid X ray photography secondary X ray radiation telecommunications technology and sonar related technology During his lifetime he received 34 patents His autobiography From Immigrant to Inventor won a Pulitzer Prize in 1924 Havemeyer Hall Havemeyer Hall Havemeyer Hall is devoted to the application and study of Chemistry with a strong emphasis on research Pioneering research conducted here led to the discovery of deuterium for which Harold Clayton Urey received the Nobel Prize in 1934 Six others who did research here subsequently received the Nobel Prize including Irving Langmuir the first industrial chemist to be so honored in 1932 Room 309 the grand lecture hall in the center of Havemeyer remains the signature architectural feature of Charles Follen McKim s original design It has been prominently featured in over a dozen films Mathematics Hall Mathematics Hall As the name suggests this building houses the Mathematics Department This former home of the Engineering School once featured a full sized steam locomotive inside The area around Mathematics Hall is known as the site of the Battle of Harlem Heights During the American Revolution George Washington s troops staged an important offensive against the British troops here Though inconclusive it revived American morale after defeats in Long Island and at Kip s Bay A plaque on the Broadway side of the building commemorates the battle The mathematics and science library here have two distinct and separately maintained collections The mathematics holdings cover all aspects of pure mathematics including algebra number theory geometry topology mathematical statistics and probability The library currently subscribes to 250 international

    Original URL path: http://www.columbia.edu/content/prospective-undergraduate.html (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Self-guided Walking Tour | Columbia University in the City of New York
    Google Reader Bloglines Juice or others click on the RSS button to subscribe to the podcast If your feed reader is not automatically launched simply copy the URL and paste in into your feed reader application to subscribe Download Individual Files mp3 TITLE DESCRIPTION Introduction 1 1 MB The tour is introduced by Andrew Dolkart an architectural historian of New York Columbia professor and author of a book on Morningside Heights Low Library Vestibule The Low Library vestibule is the grand high ceilinged space outside the Visitors Center decorated with a statue of Athena and other traditional symbols of learning Low Library Rotunda Topped by a dome designed to recall the Pantheon in Rome the Low Library rotunda was originally used as a reading room when the building served as a library Plaza in Front of Low Memorial Library 1 8 MB The plaza affords an excellent view of architect Charles McKim s design for the Columbia campus as well as Daniel Chester French s statue Alma Mater Lewisohn Hall Walking past Dodge Hall the former business school Professor Dolkart points out Lewisohn Hall designed by architect Arnold Bruner in the style that Charles McKim had established for the campus Earl Hall Professor Dolkart describes Earl Hall one of the most prominent buildings on campus and also discusses the campus landscaping Mathematics Hall and Havemeyer Hall Dating from the 1890s Mathematics and Havemeyer halls are two of the earliest buildings on campus Havemeyer Hall Room 309 Room 309 the only intact nineteenth century lecture hall at Columbia is frequently used as a set for feature films including Malcolm X Kinsey and Spider Man 2 Uris Hall Uris Hall the home of Columbia School of Business was controversial when built in the early 1960s Avery Hall Avery Hall was designed by McKim Mead White and is home to the world s greatest architecture library Courtyard Behind Avery The courtyard links four campus buildings Campus level entrances to these and many other Columbia buildings are actually on the third floor since Columbia is built on a platform several stories above street level St Paul s Chapel Exterior 1 1 MB St Paul s Chapel designed by I N Phelps Stokes as a young architect is a masterpiece of early twentieth century American religious architecture St Paul s Chapel Interior 1 3 MB The interior of St Paul s Chapel features furniture carved in Florence and stained glass designed by Maitland Armstrong and John La Farge St Paul s Chapel Guastavino Tile St Paul s church uses Guastavino structural vaulting a patented system of tiles created by Spanish builder Rafael Guastavino who immigrated to the United States in the late nineteenth century Buell Hall Buell Hall is the only building that remains from the nineteenth century asylum that stood on the site of the Columbia campus Kent Hall Kent Hall originally the home of the law school contains a library modeled after the library at Trinity College Cambridge with a stained glass image

    Original URL path: http://www.columbia.edu/node/59.html (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Tourists & First-Time Visitors | Columbia University in the City of New York
    has been home to the School of Law since 1960 The School which was founded in 1858 is one of the oldest in the United States Its graduates include U S presidents Supreme Court justices senators governors and other high ranking government officials leading human rights advocates legal scholars entrepreneurs and other corporate leaders It is home to many of America s most distinguished legal academics and the site of one of the finest law libraries in the world Max Abramovitz and Wallace Harrison designed the building Among his many buildings Harrison is perhaps most widely known for leading an international team of architects that designed the United Nations headquarters Casa Italiana Casa Italiana Casa Italiana one of three New York City landmarks on campus is home to the Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America It is one of many buildings on campus designed by the renowned architectural firm of McKim Meade and White It was restored in 1993 based on the designs of Italian architect Italo Rota of Paris and Milan and Samuel E White of Buttrick White Burtis of New York Founded in 1991 on the basis of an agreement between the Republic of Italy and Columbia University the Academy promotes advanced research in all areas relating to Italian history and society In addition it seeks to establish a high level of academic and cultural exchange between Italy and the US International Affairs Building International Affairs Building The International Affairs Building houses Columbia s School of International and Public Affairs SIPA Founded in 1946 SIPA offers interdisciplinary masters degree programs in international affairs and in public policy and administration Several certificate programs are also offered The building houses seven regional institutes including the Weatherhead East Asian Institute the Harriman Institute for the study of Russia and the former Soviet republics as well as centers devoted to the study of Human Rights the United Nations and Urban Research and Policy The Economics and Political Science departments and the Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy are also located here as is the Lehman Library for the Social Sciences Schermerhorn Hall Schermerhorn Hall Construction on Schermerhorn began in 1896 An inscription above the entrance reads For the advancement of natural science Speak to the earth and it shall teach thee The centers and departments located in this building include African American Studies Anthropology Art History and Archaeology Geology Psychology Women s Studies the Miriam Ira D Wallach Fine Arts Center and the Center for Environmental Research and Conservation Franz Boas founded the nation s first department of anthropology here in 1899 Graduates from this program include pioneering cultural anthropologists Ruth Benedict and Margaret Mead Schermerhorn is well known in science circles as the site of Thomas Hunt Morgan s drosophila experiment which laid the foundation for modern genetics and helped him earn the Nobel Prize in 1933 Uris Hall Uris Hall Uris Hall serves as the main building for Columbia Business School which offers MBA Executive MBA and PhD programs as well as short term non degree courses for executives The school s location in the business and financial capital of the world and its relationships with global business and academic leaders make it one of the premier schools for graduate business education The school also shares a new building on Amsterdam Avenue with the School of Law Schapiro Center Schapiro Center The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science occupies a cluster of buildings on the north end of the campus the Schapiro Center for Engineering and Physical Science Research pictured shared with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences the Seeley Wintersmith Mudd building which is home to the Botwinick Gateway Laboratories a state of the art facility for computer aided design the Computer Science Building and Engineering Terrace The School offers bachelors masters and doctoral degrees in applied physics and applied mathematics biomedical engineering chemical engineering civil engineering and engineering mechanics computer science earth and environmental engineering electrical engineering industrial engineering and operations research and mechanical engineering Pupin Hall Pupin Hall Pupin Hall is home to the Physics and Astronomy departments The building is named after Michael I Pupin a graduate of Columbia College and a professor at the University for more than 30 years Pupin was an active inventor and patented many of his ground breaking inventions including a method of rapid X ray photography secondary X ray radiation telecommunications technology and sonar related technology During his lifetime he received 34 patents His autobiography From Immigrant to Inventor won a Pulitzer Prize in 1924 Havemeyer Hall Havemeyer Hall Havemeyer Hall is devoted to the application and study of Chemistry with a strong emphasis on research Pioneering research conducted here led to the discovery of deuterium for which Harold Clayton Urey received the Nobel Prize in 1934 Six others who did research here subsequently received the Nobel Prize including Irving Langmuir the first industrial chemist to be so honored in 1932 Room 309 the grand lecture hall in the center of Havemeyer remains the signature architectural feature of Charles Follen McKim s original design It has been prominently featured in over a dozen films Mathematics Hall Mathematics Hall As the name suggests this building houses the Mathematics Department This former home of the Engineering School once featured a full sized steam locomotive inside The area around Mathematics Hall is known as the site of the Battle of Harlem Heights During the American Revolution George Washington s troops staged an important offensive against the British troops here Though inconclusive it revived American morale after defeats in Long Island and at Kip s Bay A plaque on the Broadway side of the building commemorates the battle The mathematics and science library here have two distinct and separately maintained collections The mathematics holdings cover all aspects of pure mathematics including algebra number theory geometry topology mathematical statistics and probability The library currently subscribes to 250 international mathematics serials The science collection consists of general and multidisciplinary materials

    Original URL path: http://www.columbia.edu/content/tourists-first-time-visitors-0.html (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Large Groups | Columbia University in the City of New York
    urban planning historic preservation and real estate development The School also offers a post professional program the degree in Advanced Architectural Design Doctoral programs are offered in conjunction with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences The Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library one of the most comprehensive architectural libraries in the country is located here Its collection includes books and periodicals in architecture historic preservation art history painting sculpture graphic arts decorative arts city planning real estate and archaeology The Avery collection in architecture ranges from the first Western printed book on architecture L B Alberti s De Re Aedificatoria 1485 to a broad collection of books on contemporary architectural movements Fayerweather Hall Fayerweather Hall Fayerweather is one of the buildings that complete a small quadrangle on the northeast end of the campus It is home to the History and Sociology departments Along with traditional areas of study the history department offers joint programs with the law school the School of International and Public affairs as well as the medical school and the School of Public Health Sociology also maintains active teaching and research ties with various schools departments and institutes at Columbia Jerome Greene Hall Jerome Greene Hall Jerome Greene Hall the main building within the Law School complex has been home to the School of Law since 1960 The School which was founded in 1858 is one of the oldest in the United States Its graduates include U S presidents Supreme Court justices senators governors and other high ranking government officials leading human rights advocates legal scholars entrepreneurs and other corporate leaders It is home to many of America s most distinguished legal academics and the site of one of the finest law libraries in the world Max Abramovitz and Wallace Harrison designed the building Among his many buildings Harrison is perhaps most widely known for leading an international team of architects that designed the United Nations headquarters Casa Italiana Casa Italiana Casa Italiana one of three New York City landmarks on campus is home to the Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America It is one of many buildings on campus designed by the renowned architectural firm of McKim Meade and White It was restored in 1993 based on the designs of Italian architect Italo Rota of Paris and Milan and Samuel E White of Buttrick White Burtis of New York Founded in 1991 on the basis of an agreement between the Republic of Italy and Columbia University the Academy promotes advanced research in all areas relating to Italian history and society In addition it seeks to establish a high level of academic and cultural exchange between Italy and the US International Affairs Building International Affairs Building The International Affairs Building houses Columbia s School of International and Public Affairs SIPA Founded in 1946 SIPA offers interdisciplinary masters degree programs in international affairs and in public policy and administration Several certificate programs are also offered The building houses seven regional institutes including the Weatherhead East Asian Institute the Harriman Institute for the study of Russia and the former Soviet republics as well as centers devoted to the study of Human Rights the United Nations and Urban Research and Policy The Economics and Political Science departments and the Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy are also located here as is the Lehman Library for the Social Sciences Schermerhorn Hall Schermerhorn Hall Construction on Schermerhorn began in 1896 An inscription above the entrance reads For the advancement of natural science Speak to the earth and it shall teach thee The centers and departments located in this building include African American Studies Anthropology Art History and Archaeology Geology Psychology Women s Studies the Miriam Ira D Wallach Fine Arts Center and the Center for Environmental Research and Conservation Franz Boas founded the nation s first department of anthropology here in 1899 Graduates from this program include pioneering cultural anthropologists Ruth Benedict and Margaret Mead Schermerhorn is well known in science circles as the site of Thomas Hunt Morgan s drosophila experiment which laid the foundation for modern genetics and helped him earn the Nobel Prize in 1933 Uris Hall Uris Hall Uris Hall serves as the main building for Columbia Business School which offers MBA Executive MBA and PhD programs as well as short term non degree courses for executives The school s location in the business and financial capital of the world and its relationships with global business and academic leaders make it one of the premier schools for graduate business education The school also shares a new building on Amsterdam Avenue with the School of Law Schapiro Center Schapiro Center The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science occupies a cluster of buildings on the north end of the campus the Schapiro Center for Engineering and Physical Science Research pictured shared with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences the Seeley Wintersmith Mudd building which is home to the Botwinick Gateway Laboratories a state of the art facility for computer aided design the Computer Science Building and Engineering Terrace The School offers bachelors masters and doctoral degrees in applied physics and applied mathematics biomedical engineering chemical engineering civil engineering and engineering mechanics computer science earth and environmental engineering electrical engineering industrial engineering and operations research and mechanical engineering Pupin Hall Pupin Hall Pupin Hall is home to the Physics and Astronomy departments The building is named after Michael I Pupin a graduate of Columbia College and a professor at the University for more than 30 years Pupin was an active inventor and patented many of his ground breaking inventions including a method of rapid X ray photography secondary X ray radiation telecommunications technology and sonar related technology During his lifetime he received 34 patents His autobiography From Immigrant to Inventor won a Pulitzer Prize in 1924 Havemeyer Hall Havemeyer Hall Havemeyer Hall is devoted to the application and study of Chemistry with a strong emphasis on research Pioneering research conducted here led to the

    Original URL path: http://www.columbia.edu/content/large-groups-0.html (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Visitors Center | Columbia University in the City of New York
    other corporate leaders It is home to many of America s most distinguished legal academics and the site of one of the finest law libraries in the world Max Abramovitz and Wallace Harrison designed the building Among his many buildings Harrison is perhaps most widely known for leading an international team of architects that designed the United Nations headquarters Casa Italiana Casa Italiana Casa Italiana one of three New York City landmarks on campus is home to the Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America It is one of many buildings on campus designed by the renowned architectural firm of McKim Meade and White It was restored in 1993 based on the designs of Italian architect Italo Rota of Paris and Milan and Samuel E White of Buttrick White Burtis of New York Founded in 1991 on the basis of an agreement between the Republic of Italy and Columbia University the Academy promotes advanced research in all areas relating to Italian history and society In addition it seeks to establish a high level of academic and cultural exchange between Italy and the US International Affairs Building International Affairs Building The International Affairs Building houses Columbia s School of International and Public Affairs SIPA Founded in 1946 SIPA offers interdisciplinary masters degree programs in international affairs and in public policy and administration Several certificate programs are also offered The building houses seven regional institutes including the Weatherhead East Asian Institute the Harriman Institute for the study of Russia and the former Soviet republics as well as centers devoted to the study of Human Rights the United Nations and Urban Research and Policy The Economics and Political Science departments and the Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy are also located here as is the Lehman Library for the Social Sciences Schermerhorn Hall Schermerhorn Hall Construction on Schermerhorn began in 1896 An inscription above the entrance reads For the advancement of natural science Speak to the earth and it shall teach thee The centers and departments located in this building include African American Studies Anthropology Art History and Archaeology Geology Psychology Women s Studies the Miriam Ira D Wallach Fine Arts Center and the Center for Environmental Research and Conservation Franz Boas founded the nation s first department of anthropology here in 1899 Graduates from this program include pioneering cultural anthropologists Ruth Benedict and Margaret Mead Schermerhorn is well known in science circles as the site of Thomas Hunt Morgan s drosophila experiment which laid the foundation for modern genetics and helped him earn the Nobel Prize in 1933 Uris Hall Uris Hall Uris Hall serves as the main building for Columbia Business School which offers MBA Executive MBA and PhD programs as well as short term non degree courses for executives The school s location in the business and financial capital of the world and its relationships with global business and academic leaders make it one of the premier schools for graduate business education The school also shares a new building on Amsterdam Avenue with the School of Law Schapiro Center Schapiro Center The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science occupies a cluster of buildings on the north end of the campus the Schapiro Center for Engineering and Physical Science Research pictured shared with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences the Seeley Wintersmith Mudd building which is home to the Botwinick Gateway Laboratories a state of the art facility for computer aided design the Computer Science Building and Engineering Terrace The School offers bachelors masters and doctoral degrees in applied physics and applied mathematics biomedical engineering chemical engineering civil engineering and engineering mechanics computer science earth and environmental engineering electrical engineering industrial engineering and operations research and mechanical engineering Pupin Hall Pupin Hall Pupin Hall is home to the Physics and Astronomy departments The building is named after Michael I Pupin a graduate of Columbia College and a professor at the University for more than 30 years Pupin was an active inventor and patented many of his ground breaking inventions including a method of rapid X ray photography secondary X ray radiation telecommunications technology and sonar related technology During his lifetime he received 34 patents His autobiography From Immigrant to Inventor won a Pulitzer Prize in 1924 Havemeyer Hall Havemeyer Hall Havemeyer Hall is devoted to the application and study of Chemistry with a strong emphasis on research Pioneering research conducted here led to the discovery of deuterium for which Harold Clayton Urey received the Nobel Prize in 1934 Six others who did research here subsequently received the Nobel Prize including Irving Langmuir the first industrial chemist to be so honored in 1932 Room 309 the grand lecture hall in the center of Havemeyer remains the signature architectural feature of Charles Follen McKim s original design It has been prominently featured in over a dozen films Mathematics Hall Mathematics Hall As the name suggests this building houses the Mathematics Department This former home of the Engineering School once featured a full sized steam locomotive inside The area around Mathematics Hall is known as the site of the Battle of Harlem Heights During the American Revolution George Washington s troops staged an important offensive against the British troops here Though inconclusive it revived American morale after defeats in Long Island and at Kip s Bay A plaque on the Broadway side of the building commemorates the battle The mathematics and science library here have two distinct and separately maintained collections The mathematics holdings cover all aspects of pure mathematics including algebra number theory geometry topology mathematical statistics and probability The library currently subscribes to 250 international mathematics serials The science collection consists of general and multidisciplinary materials in such areas as the history of science and technology older scientific periodicals and publications of academies and learned societies Earl Hall Earl Hall Earl Hall is Columbia s religious and community service headquarters Dedicated in 1902 it is one of the oldest buildings on campus The University Chaplain and campus

    Original URL path: http://www.columbia.edu/content/visitors-center.html (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive