archive-edu.com » EDU » H » HBS.EDU

Total: 1666

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Booz, Allen & Hamilton, Inc. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    assistant George Fry and in 1929 he hired a second James Allen By 1929 the company had a long client roster including the Chicago Tribune U S Gypsum and Montgomery Ward Carl Hamilton joined the firm in 1935 and it was renamed Booz Fry Allen Hamilton The firm continued to thrive through the 1930s World War II brought about an increase in the amount of government and military contracts on which the firm worked Fry opposed this trend and left the firm in 1942 The firm then became Booz Allen Hamilton The firm s postwar clients included RCA Johnson Wax and the U S Air Force In 1955 the firm formed a company for technical and government consulting called Booz Allen Applied Research Inc BAARINC BAARINC provided consulting services for missile and weaponry work as well as for NASA At the end of the 1950s Time dubbed the company the world s largest most prestigious management consultant firm Booz Allen Hamilton was incorporated in 1962 The firm was called upon to provide consulting services for the merger of the National Football League and American Football League in 1967 As of 1970 when the company went public the firm was consulting

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=booz_allen_hamilton_inc (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Braniff Airways, Inc. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    unpredictable business climate The same year Braniff moved company operations and maintenance facilities to Love Field Dallas from Oklahoma City In 1935 the company bought Long and Harmon Air Service and gave it mail contracts connecting Dallas Fort Worth and the Panhandle with Mexico through connections in Brownsville and adopted the advertising slogan From the Great Lakes to the Gulf New standards of luxury and comfort were introduced with the acquisition of the Douglas DC 2 aircraft in 1937 followed by the larger 21 passenger DC 3 Air hostesses and new creature comforts such as heated and soundproof cabins were also introduced Braniff focused its attention on the war effort during the early 1940s During World War II Braniff surrendered over half of its fleet to the U S military and trained military pilots radio operators and mechanics The Civil Aeronautics Board granted approval to serve South America in 1943 and the company was renamed Braniff International Airways Braniff acquired Bowen Airlines and operated it in 1935 and 1936 and owned and operated Aerovias Braniff in Mexico from 1943 to 1946 The 1950s saw domestic route expansion and in 1952 Braniff International merged with Mid Continent Airlines At the time of the merger Braniff was the only major airline in the United States to maintain its original management throughout its history and to still bear its founders name Tragically Thomas E Braniff died in a private plane crash in January 1954 near Shreveport LA seven months after Braniff celebrated its twenty fifth anniversary Paul Braniff died the same year of bone cancer Charles E Beard the general traffic manager at Braniff was appointed president of the company and went on to guide Braniff through twelve years of steady growth particularly in South America By 1957 Braniff s annual payroll had

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=braniff_airways_inc (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority - Lehman Brothers Collection
    investors McMicking incorporated Victoria Electric Illuminating Company and electric lights lit up the streets The age of electricity had arrived BC Electric was the brainchild of financier Robert Horne Payne and future Lieutenant Governor Frank Barnard With money raised from investors in England they set out to build the coast s first hydroelectric plant near Victoria in 1898 The company prospered and grew and in 1928 the Montreal based Power Corporation took control of the company The provincial government created the BC Power Commission in 1945 This public sector enterprise began acquiring small utilities extending electrification into rural and isolated areas and developing and modernizing both generating plants and transmission systems Over 200 communities were being served throughout the province by 1961 many with small diesel generating units The provincial government bought BC Electric in 1961 to further the development of Peace and Columbia River projects A year later the government amalgamated BC Electric with the Power Commission to create a new Crown corporation the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority locally known as BC Hydro BC Hydro was engaged in the province of British Columbia principally in the generation transmission and distribution of electric energy and the distribution of

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=british_columbia_hydro_and_power_authority (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Brockton Edison Co. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    the principal communities served being Brockton and neighboring towns south of Boston In 1957 there was no competition from other electric utilities within the territory served by the company The company was a member of the holding company system of Eastern Utilities Associates EUA System The EUA System consisted of Eastern Utilities Associates EUA a Massachusetts voluntary association and a registered holding company under the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935 and its directly owned subsidiaries Blackstone Valley Gas and Electric Company a Rhode Island gas and electric utility company Fall River Electric Light Company a Massachusetts electric utility company and Brockton Edison Company said three companies collectively referred to as the Owner Companies During the twelve months ending July 31 1957 53 percent of the electric revenues were derived from residential sales 21 7 percent from commercial sales 19 2 percent from industrial sales and 6 1 percent from other sales including sales to three utilities The company had an employee base of 433 employees 45 percent of whom had been in service of the company for more than twenty years Edison selected Brockton Massachusetts and Sunbury Pennsylvania as the two towns for the trial of his three

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=brockton_edison_co (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Brockway Glass Co., Inc. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    facility dates back to 1907 also when it was owned by Brockway Machine Bottle Co Brockway Machine Bottle Co later became Brockway Glass and the principal executive offices were in Brockway Pennsylvania Since its incorporation Brockway was continuously engaged in the manufacture and sale of various types of glass containers It also engaged in the manufacture and sale of glass tubing plastic vials fitments and related products The manufacture and sale of the plastic products was conducted by Celluplastics Inc of Fitchburg Massachusetts and Custom Plastics Corporation of West Springfield Massachusetts both wholly owned subsidiaries of Brockway The Hazel Atlas Company was established in 1902 as a result of the merger of Hazel Glass Company and Atlas Glass and Metal Company Hazel Atlas went on to become one of the largest producers of inexpensive glassware for household use Continental Can Company purchased Hazel Atlas in 1956 and it became the tableware division of Continental Can Company Continental Can Company sold six Hazel Atlas factories to the Brockway Glass Company in 1964 as part of a lawsuit settlement The sale of the plants was to be part of a divestiture plan by Continental Can however the plan stemmed from a Justice Department claim that the company s 1956 acquisition of Hazel Atlas Co violated the Clayton Antitrust Act The transfer of the plants was ultimately included in the settlement of the antitrust suit A federal judge approved Continental s plan to retain two of the acquired plants and sell eight others to Brockway G A Mengle president of Brockway at the time 1964 said that stockholders of the company would be asked to approve a change in the designation of present common stock to class A stock an increase in the number of authorized class A shares from two million to

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=brockway_glass_co_inc (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Brown & Sharpe Manufacturing Co. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    the reach of the ordinary machinist Lucien Sharpe was hired as an apprentice and in 1853 he was made a full partner under the new business name of J R Brown Sharpe The partnership proved an effective combination Mr Brown as the mechanical expert and Mr Sharpe as the business executive In 1866 Samuel Darling a rival and keen competitor to the firm finally joined forces with Brown which resulted in a partnership under the name of Darling Brown Sharpe Upon Mr Darling s death in 1896 the name was discontinued and in1868 the business was incorporated under the name of Brown Sharpe Mfg Co the original stockholders being Mssrs Brown and Sharpe Frederick W Howe and Thomas McFarlane Thereafter the entire business was conducted under the name of Brown Sharpe Mfg Co From its incorporation the principal product of the company has been machine tools The company is a major manufacturer of such machinery and also manufactures machinists precision measuring instruments cutting tools hydraulic valves and pumps The company s line of machine tools is entirely manufactured by it with the exception of certain components that are electrical or electronic which are purchased elsewhere Historically machines tools are essentially production equipment and sales are influenced by the general level of the economy and in particular by the level of capital spending by business As a result sales and earnings of the industry and of the company tend to be cyclical The industry has been required to develop machinery of increasing accuracy over time to accommodate new materials and new technologies The company has been subject to intense competition from both domestic and foreign companies In 1957 the company laid off 365 employees in its big machine tool division and reduced operations in the division to a 35 hour week

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=brown_sharpe_manufacturing_co (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Brown Shoe Co., Inc. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    By 1900 the company s sales had reached 4 million At that time John Bush a Brown Shoe executive acquired the rights to the Buster Brown cartoon character This character would remain the company s signature logo for decades The company s early marketing scheme involved a traveling show of performers dressed as Buster Brown the company s mascot who put on shows in theaters shoe stores and department stores Brown Shoe pioneered the idea of marketing specific shoe brands to retailers rather than the traditional method of traveling store to store with samples of every shoe manufactured by the company Brown Shoe Company s run ins with unions began in 1907 when the company opened its first plant outside of St Louis in response to increased union activity in its existing urban plants For twenty years following this the company pursued a policy of opening factories in rural areas where there was little to no union activity Brown Shoe began hiring women and children in 1911 as labor costs were increasing and it was legal to pay women and children less than men More than half of the shoe workers in St Louis were between the ages of fourteen

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=brown_shoe_co_inc (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Brunswick-Balke- Collender Co. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    grew sales offices were opened in New Orleans and St Louis Brunswick merged with Julius Balke s Great Western Billiard Manufactory to form the J M Brunswick Balke Company in 1873 In 1884 the company merged with Phelan Collender and became the Brunswick Balke Collender Company The company grew quickly and added new product lines to its business in the 1880s Brunswick began selling wooden back bars bowling pins and bowling balls Prohibition prompted a drastic change in the products offered by the company Brunswick suspended its bar fixtures operations which accounted for one fourth of its annual sales and replaced the operations with automobile tires the world s first hard rubber toilet seats wooden piano cases and phonograph cabinets The company was incorporated in 1907 In 1922 the company began producing records under its own label Musicians such as Duke Ellington Cab Calloway Benny Goodman Irene Pavlovska and Leopold Godowsky recorded on the Brunswick label The company collaborated with General Electric in an effort to manufacture an all electric phonograph called the Panatrope in 1925 The company had gone public the previous year The Depression was a difficult period for Brunswick however World War II brought a great deal of new business The company s bowling and billiard products were popular in the United Service Organizations USO centers The company also made war products such as mortar shells flares assault boats fuel cells floating mines aircraft instrument panels and aluminum litters The postwar years saw fierce competition emerge in the bowling products field The American Machine and Foundry Company introduced an automatic pinsetter for bowling alleys in 1952 In cooperation with the Murray Corporation of America Brunswick established the Brunswick Murray Pinsetter Corporation in 1954 and produced its own version of a pinsetter in 1955 Brunswick did remarkably well

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=brunswick_balke_collender_co (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive



  •