archive-edu.com » EDU » H » HBS.EDU

Total: 1666

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • De Laval Turbine Inc. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    in May 1901 It operated under the name of De Laval Steam Turbine until 1962 when it became De Laval Turbine The De Laval turbine was one of three types of turbines in use during the early part of the century The De Laval named after the inventor Gustaf De Laval used the impulse method whereby jets of stream were caused to discharge against a row of buckets or blades revolving at high velocity The company employed 1 100 by 1936 It was now manufacturing steam turbines as well as other products such as centrifugal and rotary pumps blowers reduction gears and worm gears In 1941 during World War II the U S Maritime Commission chose De Laval along with three other manufacturers of turbines and gears to help outfit its newest phase of ship construction a fleet of 566 merchant vessels Sales were flat in the postwar years The company lost nearly a quarter of million dollars on sales of 10 8 million in 1947 Three years later sales were at 10 1 million with a net loss of 425 775 Sales began to rebound after 1950 In 1952 sales were 23 8 million and the company broke a record after earning 1 million Much of this growth was attributed to orders from the U S military such as an order received in 1953 for two main propulsion units of 20 000 horsepower each for Navy destroyer escorts By 1955 De Laval had sales offices in the United States Canada Mexico South and Central America Cuba Puerto Rico Hawaii Philippines Israel Formosa the Dominican Republic Haiti Trinidad and Spain De Laval received a contract valued at 4 5 million from the U S Navy Bureau of Ships in 1958 to design and manufacture steam propulsion machinery for a nuclear

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=de_laval_turbine_inc (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Denny's International N.V. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    January 1969 Denny s International was a wholly owned subsidiary of Denny s Corporation After creating this subsidiary Denny s International sold 15 million in debentures a significant portion of which was lent to Denny s to be used for general corporate purposes The history of Denny s begins in 1953 when Harold Butler founded Danny s Donuts in Lakewood California The company earned 120 000 in the first year leading to additional Danny s Donut shops and a menu expanded to include sandwiches and other entrees Danny s Donuts was then renamed Danny s Coffee Shops In 1959 the company was incorporated in California as Harold Butler Investment Corporation The chain was renamed Denny s Restaurants with twenty restaurants by the end of the year The company embarked on an ambitious franchising program in 1963 that led to seventy eight coffee shops operating in seven western states by the end of the year In 1966 Denny s made its initial public offering on the American and Pacific Coast Stock Exchanges and in 1967 Denny s became an international company by opening a restaurant in Acapulco Mexico By 1967 Denny s had 128 restaurants in operation primarily in the western

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=denny_s_international_n_v (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Department of Community Affairs and Economic Development of the State of Delaware - Lehman Brothers Collection
    the Business Records Using the Deal Books Chronology Company Industry Glossary History of Lehman Brothers Department of Community Affairs and Economic Development of the State of Delaware Lehman Brothers Collection Department of Community Affairs and Economic Development of the State of Delaware List of Deals 1975 Department of Community Affairs and Economic Development 2 700 000 pollution control revenue bonds series A Diamond Shamrock Corporation project and 1 000 000

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=department_of_community_affairs_and_economic_development_of_the_state_of_delaware (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Diamond Shamrock Corporation - Lehman Brothers Collection
    marketed as an agent to give paint smoothness speed dry printers inks and add physical properties to rubber and plastic products In 1929 Diamond Alkali began making caustic soda through the new process of electrolysis of salt a method of running brine through electricity Two by products were formed from this process chlorine and pure hydrogen which were also marketed The chlorine was used by the water purification industry and also in the manufacture of dry cleaning solvents The hydrogen was used for hydrochloric acid production welding fuel food oil hardening electric lamp production and ammonia production In 1936 the company began producing magnesium oxide which proved to be an important component for incendiary bombs used in World War II Diamond Alkali was chosen by the U S government to operate one of the twelve government owned magnesium plants By 1944 the company was operating three plants constructed through Defense Plant Corporation funds including the magnesium plant a calcium hypochlorite plant and a synthetic catalyst plant Around that time the company acquired Emeryville Chemical Company a West Coast manufacturer of silicate of soda At the end of the war Diamond focused on restructuring the company and selling unprofitable assets The company opened several new plants during the end of the 1940s In 1948 sales surpassed 50 million for the first time At the end of the decade Diamond acquired the Martin Dennis Company This purchase increased the company s bichromate production and allowed Diamond to form an export sales division By 1950 the company was operating twelve plants producing over 100 different chemicals The Korean War increased demand for the company s products during the middle of the decade Diamond Alkali implemented programs for diversification geographical expansion and modernization during the 1950s As a result the company became involved in the organic and agricultural chemicals plastics and chromic acid fields In 1950 the company acquired the chromic acid business from E I du Pont de Nemours and Company A year later the company acquired Kolker Chemical Works Inc a manufacturer and distributor of organic insecticides and agricultural chemicals including DDT In 1953 Diamond began producing polyvinyl chloride used in the manufacture of plastic articles and perchlorethylene used in metal cleaning and dry cleaning Also in 1953 the company acquired Belle Alkali Company a producer of chemicals used in the manufacture of silicone resins solvents and drugs In 1955 Diamond acquired a 51 percent interest in Diamond Black Leaf Company which operated plants in Virginia Alabama Kentucky and Texas That same year the company surpassed 100 million in sales Two years later Diamond Black Leaf became a wholly owned subsidiary of Diamond Alkali In 1960 Diamond Alkali acquired Bessemer Limestone Cement Company an operator of a cement plant and limestone quarries The company also acquired Harte Company a producer of vinyl film and sheeting serving the plastics industry and Chemical Process Company a producer of chemicals used for water purification pharmaceuticals and polyester resins The next year the company joined three

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=diamond_shamrock_corporation (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Diebold Computer Leasing, Inc. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    per share Diebold Computer Leasing Inc was incorporated in November 1966 and began active leasing operations in October 1967 The company s business focus was the purchase and leasing of computer equipment The company invested primarily in IBM System 360 computers in the early years but also expected it might make purchases of non IBM third generation computer equipment in the future The company did not repair maintain or service its computer equipment In all cases the company required that computer equipment owned and leased by it be maintained under the manufacturer s standard maintenance agreement Maintenance costs were borne by the lessees In 1968 the company owned eighty five computer systems leased to fifty four lessees valued at about 50 million Most of the company s lessees were major corporations engaged in a variety of businesses Its initial public stock offering was filed in 1968 Diebold Computer Leasing was engaged in a highly competitive field It competed with IBM other computer manufacturers banks finance companies and the rapidly increasing number of companies whose principal business was purchasing and then leasing out computer equipment Manufacturers as well as some non manufacturing leasing companies provided maintenance repair and programming services with

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=diebold_computer_leasing_inc (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Digital Equipment Corporation - Lehman Brothers Collection
    percent annually for almost two decades There was virtually no organizational structure in the early years of the company s existence Olsen wanted to create an environment like that of the research labs at Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT where he was educated Also unusual for computer companies at the time Digital did not lease its computers It did not create software for its products or offer maintenance services This policy cut down on the company s costs which in turn caused its products to be cheaper than those of competitors By 1964 the company required some organizational structure as various engineering groups were not coordinating well with other functions of the company Olsen structured the company in a matrix framework which involved product line managers Each manager had complete responsibility for a product line from conceptualization to sales and was accountable for its performance Using this structure the company had developed over twenty new product lines by the mid 1970s Digital introduced the PDP 8 in 1965 which triggered the minicomputer industry The company grew from a small technical company into a major computer manufacturer Digital s versatile and accessible computers inspired a market new to the computer industry known as OEM original equipment manufacturer Other companies bought Digital s computers integrated their own hardware and software programs for specific applications and sold the packages as their own products This arrangement saved Digital from the costly labor intensive job of writing software and servicing its machines In 1970 the company introduced the PDP 11 which was named one of the most significant technical products of the year by Industrial Research By 1972 Digital was still on top of the minicomputer market While making innovations in the computing field Digital was also a pioneer in human resources To stimulate growth

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=digital_equipment_corporation (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Digital Equipment Overseas Finance N.V. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    where he was educated Also unusual for computer companies at the time Digital did not lease its computers It did not create software for its products or offer maintenance services This policy cut down on the company s costs which in turn caused its products to be cheaper than those of competitors By 1964 the company required some organizational structure as various engineering groups were not coordinating well with other functions of the company Olsen structured the company in a matrix framework which involved product line managers Each manager had complete responsibility for a product line from conceptualization to sales and was accountable for its performance Using this structure the company had developed over twenty new product lines by the mid 1970s Digital introduced the PDP 8 in 1965 which triggered the minicomputer industry The company grew from a small technical company into a major computer manufacturer Digital s versatile and accessible computers inspired a market new to the computer industry known as OEM original equipment manufacturer Other companies bought Digital s computers integrated their own hardware and software programs for specific applications and sold the packages as their own products This arrangement saved Digital from the costly labor intensive job of writing software and servicing its machines In 1970 the company introduced the PDP 11 which was named one of the most significant technical products of the year by Industrial Research By 1972 Digital was still on top of the minicomputer market While making innovations in the computing field Digital was also a pioneer in human resources To stimulate growth in depressed communities the company established plants in places hit hard by recessions such as Maynard and Springfield Massachusetts The company also maintained a no layoff policy During the recession of 1970 Digital had its employees work in other

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=digital_equipment_overseas_finance_n_v (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Du Mont Broadcasting Corporation - Lehman Brothers Collection
    Montclair New Jersey High School in 1919 and went to RPI in Troy New York After graduating from RPI in 1924 he obtained a job at the Westinghouse Lamp Company in Bloomfield New Jersey and was put in charge of radio tube production Dr Du Mont one of the greatest inventors of the twentieth century perfected the cathode ray tube in 1931 for use in television receivers In 1931 Du Mont founded Allen B Du Mont Laboratories Inc in the garage of his Cedar Grove New Jersey home with 1000 half of which he had borrowed The company incorporated as Du Mont Labs in 1935 received its initial success as the primary U S manufacturer of cathode ray tubes which had become critical to the electronics industry It took him another seven years before he manufactured and sold the first commercially practical television set to the public His all electronic Model 180 television receiver was first sold in 1938 a few months prior to RCA s first set In 1938 Du Mont sold a half interest to Paramount Pictures Corporation to raise capital for broadcasting stations Du Mont Labs was the first company to market the home television receiver in 1939 Du Mont was second to enter the network TV business establishing a link between its New York and Washington D C stations in 1945 ahead of both CBS and ABC Du Mont founded the first licensed television network in 1946 linking WABD Allen Balcom Du Mont in New York to WTTG Thomas Tolliver Goldsmith in Washington DC Du Mont produced the finest longest lasting black and white televisions available in the 1940s and 1950s During that period Du Mont was America s fourth television network One important factor contributing to the demise of the Du Mont Network was Allen

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=du_mont_broadcasting_corporation (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive



  •