archive-edu.com » EDU » H » HBS.EDU

Total: 1666

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Playskool Manufacturing Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    Playskool Institute s slogan was Learning While Playing Another slogan the company used was Playthings with a Purpose As early as 1930 Playskool s toys were endorsed by child guidance experts and the aura of educational enrichment clung to the brand Playskool Institute first operated as a division of the John Schroeder Lumber Company In 1935 the lumber company sold the division to a Chicago manufacturer Thorncraft Inc Thorncraft next sold Playskool to Chicago s Joseph Lumber Company in 1938 The company was renamed Playskool Manufacturing Company Playskool began advertising in magazines for sophisticated consumers such as Parents Redbook and Psychology Today Some of the early Playskool toys were deemed to boost a child s intelligence or at least to prepare children for intelligence tests Playskool also extended its line of educational toys by acquiring other manufacturers In 1943 the company bought the J L Wright Company manufacturer of Lincoln Logs Another essential Playskool purchase was that of Holgate Toys in 1958 Holgate was a Philadelphia woodworking company that specialized in utilitarian products such as broom handles and brushes until the 1930s Holgate branched out into a line of toys which were designed by Jerry Rockwell artist Norman Rockwell s

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=playskool_manufacturing_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Potomac Electric Power Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    first years under the Washington Railway and Electric Company PEPCO was a captive of the traction interests It supplied electricity to railroads and its service generally stopped where the trolley ended In 1905 PEPCO surpassed 1 million in revenues for the first time By the end of 1914 PEPCO was running 24 818 meters and had 8 215 street lamps It had surpassed 2 million in revenues World War I increased demand as well as inflation At the same time widespread use of the automobile moved the company s focus away from trolleys and toward residential and business customers By 1925 the company was running over 100 000 meters Three years later the North American Company gained control of Washington Railway and Electric and therefore of PEPCO as well PEPCO continued to expand under North American In 1929 it surpassed 10 million in sales for the first time After World War II North American was forced to comply with the 1935 Public Utilities Holding Company Act and transferred ownership of Braddock Light Power a small Virginia company to PEPCO and then dissolved Washington Railway and Electric In 1946 North American distributed PEPCO shares to its stockholders The post World War II period was one of high growth and falling rates By 1954 the company had surpassed 50 million in revenues Between 1960 and 1970 the population of PEPCO s service area grew by 38 percent The increased use of air conditioners led to a sharp difference between summer demand and winter demand To balance the load PEPCO began promoting Gold Medallion all electric homes The company was able to lower rates despite summer peak periods which forced it to add more capacity including a new generating station PEPCO s financial situation changed dramatically in 1969 when rising construction costs squeezed

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=potomac_electric_power_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Public Service Company of Oklahoma - Lehman Brothers Collection
    was legally opened to non native settlement PSO was founded by Frederick Insull a nephew of Thomas Edison s secretary and aide Samuel Insull Various Insull relatives ran power companies and electric company holding companies such as the Middle West Utilities Company In its early days PSO supplied electrical power and ice PSO was incorporated in 1913 in Oklahoma City The corporation was formed from a merger of several electric companies from Tulsa Coalgate Guthrie Atoka and Lehigh The company s headquarters were established in Tulsa in 1916 PSO then expanded its service throughout eastern and southwestern Oklahoma By 1927 the company provided power to eighty two towns The Insull family formed the Central and Southwest Utilities Company in Delaware in 1925 The new corporation was a subsidiary of the Middle West Utilities Company Central and Southwest Utilities was a parent corporation that controlled all the stock of PSO as well as several other public utilities including the American Public Service Company the Chickasha Gas and Electric Company of Oklahoma the Central Power and Light Company the Southwestern Securities Company and the Southwestern Gas and Electric Company These companies ranged through Texas Oklahoma Louisiana Kansas and Mississippi PSO had constructed several generating stations and hundreds of miles of high tension wires and distribution lines by the late 1920s and was one of the few Insull ventures to survive the crash of 1929 Samuel Insull lost an estimated 100 million in the crash leaving him 7 million in debt and flat broke PSO acquired the stock of Southwestern Light and Power in 1938 establishing a controlling interest in the company Revenues were 4 4 million in 1927 and 4 2 million in 1935 Revenues hit 52 6 million by 1961 and 121 2 million in 1971 By 1965 PSO provided power

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=public_service_company_of_oklahoma (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Puerto Rico Telephone Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    Rico Telephone Company the Cuban Telephone Company and half of the Cuban American Telephone and Telegraph Company The name ITT was chosen for its similarity to AT T the American telecommunications company For more information about ITT read the company history for International Standard Electric ISE Sosthenes Behn 1884 1957 was an American colonel in the Spanish American War and used his multilingual cosmopolitan allure to business advantage Behn s parents were Danish and French he was born in the Virgin Islands then a Danish possession but bought by the United States in 1917 his education took place in Corsica and Paris his early businesses in sugar trading and telephony were based in Puerto Rico Cuba and Spain Behn s command of languages and glamour gained him business contracts despite his relative inexperience Puerto Rico Telephone Company s stock was added to the American Stock Exchange in 1955 In the 1960s 80 percent of the company s stock was held by ITT In 1966 Ricotelco had 202 000 phones in service with 305 000 phones in service by 1970 Revenues were 31 8 million in 1966 rising to 55 million in 1970 The government of Puerto Rico purchased Ricotelco from ITT for 200 million in 1974 From that point until 1998 the company was run as a nationalized business GTE purchased the company from the government of Puerto Rico in 1998 for 2 25 billion GTE was in turn bought in 2000 by Bell Atlantic now known as Verizon Note There are several books of interest to those studying ISE and ITT There is a company history of ISE on this website as well as an ISE deal book in the Lehman Collection Peter Young s Power of Speech London George Allen Unwin 1983 catalogues the largest company within ISE

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=puerto_rico_telephone_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Puget Sound Power & Light Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    E C Kilbourne also founded the Pacific Electric Light Company during the 1890s when he saw the advantages of serving lighting and streetcar power loads on combined systems Many individual companies and systems providing combinations of power lighting and streetcar loads sprang up including twelve in Seattle alone Nearly all of them were wiped out in the financial panic of 1893 Mitchell called upon Charles Augustus Stone and Edwin Sidney Webster partners in a Boston based operation that advised or operated troubled electric utilities or else financed refinanced and even acquired them Stone and Webster realized that the utilities industry not only needed reorganization but also strong local leadership They approached Jacob Furth who in 1900 became president of the newly formed Seattle Electric Company The new enterprise not only consolidated all the surviving lighting traction and related subsidiary businesses in Seattle but began to expand its interests throughout the Puget Sound region In 1912 Seattle Electric incorporated as the Puget Sound Traction Light Power Company The company would later drop the word traction from its name Eight more utility companies in the Puget Sound region were bought and integrated within the company between 1912 and 1920 The utility pursued an aggressive policy of acquiring utility companies in central and western Washington from 1920 to 1940 and ten more were added During this formative period Puget Power became a leader in the utilities industry In 1913 near Lynden for example the company constructed what is believed to be the first power line in the United States built specifically to serve farm customers In 1925 at Puyallup it established the Farm Power Laboratory a unique research center where labor saving uses of electricity on the farm could be demonstrated and promoted Another first for Puget Power came in 1926 when it

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=puget_sound_power_light_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Quaker City Life Insurance Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    sale by stockholders of 82 500 shares of capital stock The Quaker City Life Insurance Company was incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1927 as the Progressive Life Health Accident Insurance Company The name underwent three changes during the 1930s and 1940s in 1937 it was called the Progressive Life Insurance Company in 1939 it became the Progressive Quaker City Life Insurance Company and in 1946 it became the Quaker City Life

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=quaker_city_life_insurance_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Quebec Natural Gas Corporation - Lehman Brothers Collection
    List of Deals 1957 1957 financing The Quebec Natural Gas Corporation was organized in 1957 to acquire the gas distribution facilities in Montreal Quebec owned by the government owned Quebec Hydro Electric Commission Quebec Natural sold 48 million worth of securities in both the United States and Canada in April 1957 The securities consisted of 12 5 million of 6 percent first mortgage bonds due 1980 Canadian 7 5 million

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=quebec_natural_gas_corporation (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • R. H. Macy & Co., Inc. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    jewelry silver and clocks When R H Macy died in 1877 his nephew Robert M Valentine and a store salesman Abiel T LaForge were promoted to the company s leadership Valentine later bought LaForge s share and brought in Charles Webster to join him at the company s helm After Valentine s death Webster approached the Straus family who for thirteen years had leased space in Macy s to operate a chinaware department the store s most profitable section The Strauses accepted Webster s offer and joined him as partners The Straus brothers introduced their odd price policy now used virtually everywhere in U S retailing Charging 4 98 instead of 5 00 the store motivated customers to buy in quantity in order to accumulate substantial savings The Strauses also brought in line after line of new merchandise Oriental rugs ornate furniture lavish stationary new style bicycles and pianos They also instituted the store s depositor s accounts in which shoppers could make deposits with the store and then charge purchases against them This plan was a forerunner of installment buying and layaway plans In 1902 the store relocated to its Herald Square location at 34th Street and Broadway The new store was equipped with newly designed escalators pneumatic tubes to move cash or messages and an air exhaust system that provided the store with a constant supply of fresh air Macy s spacious building had ample fitting rooms accommodation desks an information counter and comfortable rest rooms Within a year of the move sales reached 11 million As it did with most of its products Macy s sold books at substantially below their wholesale price 25 percent below In 1909 a book publishers association sued Macy s charging that the price cutting hurt their copyright value The Strauses countersued

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=r_h_macy_co_inc (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive



  •