archive-edu.com » EDU » H » HBS.EDU

Total: 1666

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • The Dreyfus Corporation - Lehman Brothers Collection
    00 per share Dreyfus Offshore Trust NV The Dreyfus Corporation was established in 1951 and headquartered in New York City Dreyfus went on to become one of the nation s leading mutual fund companies The Dreyfus Corporation acts as manager and underwriter of the Dreyfus Fund Inc a fully managed open end investment company The primary objective of the fund is growth of capital and growth of income The corporation manages the fund and distributes shares of the fund through selected securities dealers under a number of plans designed to appeal to a broad range of investors The corporation conducted extensive advertising and sales promotion for the fund and in 1957 became the first mutual fund company to launch a retail advertising campaign Through such promotion the Dreyfus Lion a registered mark of the fund symbolized strength confidence and reliability The management of the corporation believed that furnishing management services to the fund provided a higher margin of profit to the corporation than did the distribution of fund shares and programs In 1964 and in the first six months of 1965 management fees accounted for approximately 56 percent of total revenue of the corporation from management distribution services As of

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=the_dreyfus_corporation (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive


  • The Dreyfus Offshore Trust N.V. - Lehman Brothers Collection
    Using the Deal Books Chronology Company Industry Glossary History of Lehman Brothers The Dreyfus Offshore Trust N V Lehman Brothers Collection The Dreyfus Offshore Trust N V List of Deals 1969 U S 14 700 000 participating debentures due 1974

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=the_dreyfus_offshore_trust_n_v (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The E. F. MacDonald Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    the business of creating and managing incentive programs to increase sales for its clients These included developing sales objectives for sales personnel In 1961 the company expanded its incentive services by entering into the business of licensing and administering the MacDonald Plaid Stamp Plan The Plaid Stamps that E F MacDonald distributed were trading stamps issued to customers at grocery stores drug stores dry cleaners service stations and other establishments based on their purchases The largest store chain distributing Plaid Stamps was the Great Atlantic Pacific Tea Company A P These stamps were redeemable for merchandise at stamp redemption outlets owned by E F MacDonald The Plaid Stamp program proved to be very successful By 1968 E F MacDonald had a network of approximately 675 redemption centers including approximately 175 Plaidland redemption stores In the year ending January 28 1968 the company distributed ten million gift catalogs and issued merchandise for trading stamps that had an estimated retail value of over 72 million Besides the Plaid Stamp business E F MacDonald also expanded into other lines of business during the 1960s In late 1964 the company acquired a controlling interest in Minimax Supermarkets S P A Italy In 1965 E

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=the_e_f_macdonald_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Electric Auto-Lite Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    March 1926 it bought the starting lighting ignition business of American Bosch Magneto Company and Gray Davis Inc Electric Auto Lite was making more than 100 000 lighting and starting units per month for 115 different makes of car in 1927 It employed more than 4 000 people in its Toledo and Fostoria plants In 1928 the company bought USL Battery Corporation Prest O Lite Storage Battery Corporation Marko Storage Battery Corporation and Wubco Battery Corporation It also acquired interests in Eclipse Machine Company and the Columbus Auto Parts Company In February 1929 Electric Auto Lite added the storage battery division of Westinghouse Electric Manufacturing Company and in September it acquired control of J W Brown Manufacturing During 1929 Electric Auto Lite delivered one million generators to the Ford Motor Company The company workforce expanded to 12 000 and sales in 1928 were nearly 50 million In 1932 Electric Auto Lite sold 75 percent of its interest in Electric Auto Lite of Delaware and all of its holdings in Fostoria Machine Tool Company In 1934 Electric Auto Lite bought Moto Meter Gauge Equipment Corporation the Corcoran Brown Lamp Company and the Owen Dyneto Corporation In May 1934 Electric Auto Lite achieved some notoriety in a labor management struggle that came to be known as the Battle of Toledo The company refused negotiations with striking workers and hired strikebreakers in the spring of 1934 A group of local socialist affiliated unemployed workers joined the strikers setting up mass picket lines On May 23 the sheriff arrested several picket leaders prompting the Battle of Toledo Ten thousand workers and their families blockaded the Auto Lite factory keeping the strikebreakers inside Deputies used tear gas and water hoses to try to disperse the crowd which rioted and set fire to the parking lot

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=the_electric_auto_lite_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Emporium Corporation - Lehman Brothers Collection
    nearest competitor The store was located at the corner of Van Ness Avenue and Post Street In 1898 sales were approximately 1 5 million During the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 the company not only survived but prospered Newspaper accounts of the time reported that after the earthquake the Emporium constructed temporary quarters that were larger than the original building and that they were installing large modern show windows indicating

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=the_emporium_corporation (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Export Steamship Corporation - Lehman Brothers Collection
    Home About This Collection Using the Business Records Using the Deal Books Chronology Company Industry Glossary History of Lehman Brothers The Export Steamship Corporation Lehman Brothers Collection The Export Steamship Corporation List of Deals 1934 purchase of stock and participation

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=the_export_steamship_corporation (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Flintkote Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    also began manufacturing asphalt emulsions to be used in road building and maintenance In the 1930s Flintkote introduced asbestos shingles sidings and cement to supplement its construction materials By then Flintkote operated plants in New York New Jersey Louisiana Illinois and California The company offered stock in a public offering in 1936 In the 1940s Flintkote began manufacturing folding boxes as packaging for consumer goods An expansion and diversification program began in 1956 spurring a series of acquisitions that allowed Flintkote to produce gypsum pipes paper products and additional types of asbestos and cement By 1963 the company ran 147 plants 21 of them international Construction and building materials especially roofing and asphalt were the mainstays of the company through the 1970s At the time of the deal Flintkote focused on manufacturing construction materials through its Building Products Group Stone Products Group and Pipe Products Group It also produced packaging materials like corrugated containers through its Packaging Products Group The Canadian Group produced much of the same material but largely from Canadian sources The deal arranged for the sale of 40 million in 8 25 percent sinking fund fifteen year debentures The money was to be used to pay off 40 million in short term debt accrued in facility spending and in amassing seasonal working capital Flintkote had 29 9 million in sales in 1970 with a net income of 1 08 million Sales showed a slight decline over the preceding five years with 1966 sales at 30 6 million with net income of 1 51 million Flintkote attributed this decline to a larger economic slowdown and lowered prices for materials such as gypsum wallboard and corrugated containers Higher labor costs strikes and work stoppages at Flintkote plants also hurt the bottom line In June 1971 11 300 people worked

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=the_flintkote_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The General Tire & Rubber Company - Lehman Brothers Collection
    tires and the more expensive models even came with four spares Business was more than ample for tire companies and the General Tire Rubber Company even turned a profit in its first year of operation In 1916 the company manufactured its first tire bearing its name It was the first oversize tire on the market especially fitted for passenger cars General began advertising in the Saturday Evening Post the following year paying 5 000 for a full page ad At that time it was unusual for a tire company to appeal to individual car owners rather than to the car manufacturers This was an innovative marketing approach and it worked Franchised tire dealerships also became crucial to the success of the company General also initiated the concept of trading in used tires for a complete set of Generals as the tires were dubbed The company also entered into various mileage contracts whereby it leased tires and tubes to certain companies operating taxicabs and buses in return for a fixed rate per mile for the use of the tires General soon recognized the growing importance of trucks and their tire needs and made truck tires its specialty The company pioneered the recapping of truck tires and in the 1930s it introduced a series of low pressure truck tires By 1934 the company s research and development team had experimented with a revolutionary new drum method for producing truck tires that dramatically reduced the cost of manufacturing them and at the same time accelerated the speed at which they were manufactured by 50 percent Without the drum method of truck tire production the tremendous wartime demand for tires would not have been met By 1923 the company had earned its first million dollars in sales General s product innovations also continued The

    Original URL path: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/company.html?company=the_general_tire_rubber_company (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive



  •