archive-edu.com » EDU » M » MILLIKIN.EDU

Total: 1195

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Albert Taylor Theatre | Millikin University
    the next section of the exhibit University Auditorium Although unofficially used as early as 1905 the name University Auditorium or Millikin Auditorium began to appear on programs and notices for events to be held in the theatre by 1911 In 1915 the JMU Bulletin recognized the name change in its description of the theatre calling it the University Auditorium after 12 years of calling it Assembly Hall It would appear on programs and notices varyingly as University Auditorium Millikin Auditorium or JMU Auditorium There is no known reason why this name change occurred as it did but the University Auditorium name lasted as the official name for the theatre until 1939 when it was remodeled and dedicated to Albert Taylor Above 1911 Glee Club Concert poster Above 1939 Program the last w the University Auditorium name The Chapel From the beginning of Millikin University in 1903 the theatre quickly developed an unofficial nickname due to one of its most frequent uses Whether the name was officially Assembly Hall or University Auditorium Millikin s earliest students often just called the theatre the Chapel This name developed out of the fact that when the school opened in 1903 students were required to attend daily chapel services held in the theatre Students quickly got into the habit of calling the theatre the Chapel and this nickname even made its way onto the occasional notice or program such as the one below Above 1909 Debate Program Albert Taylor Hall When Albert Taylor died in 1929 there was considerable discussion as to how Millikin should honor its first president When the new library was built a year later there was push to have it named for Taylor but eventually it would be dedicated in 1931 as Gorin Hall Finally in 1939 as the University Auditorium was completing its first major remodeling the idea emerged to honor Taylor by dedicating the newly remodeled theatre to him When it came time for homecoming in October of 1939 the university had decided to do just that The same Assembly Hall in which Taylor had presided over the opening of the university in 1903 and the same University Auditorium in which his funeral was held in 1929 was dedicated as Albert Taylor Hall on October 28th 1939 It would be almost 50 years before a new name emerged for this historic Millikin venue Albert Taylor Theatre By the late 1980s event programs like the one at right from 1987 started to call Albert Taylor Hall the Albert Taylor Theatre and it wasn t long before the MU Bulletin followed suit and officially started referring to the theatre as the Albert Taylor Theatre The name continues to be the official name of the venue today Return to top Ch Ch Ch Changes The many faces of Millikin s original theatre Above Original Lighting Design Plan from 1902 The Albert Taylor Theatre has changed its look almost as often as it has changed its name The original design for the Albert Taylor Theatre was made by the Chicago architectural firm of Patton and Miller as part of their overall design for the Liberal Arts Hall building today s Shilling Hall In the original configuration there were two special box seating areas that flanked the stage on either side these can be seen in the stage view photo at the top of this page and also immediately below in the seating chart image below The east box was reserved for Mr and Mrs Millikin while the west box was reserved for the president of the university The first remodeling took place in 1939 during which all the original wood seats were replaced In 1952 53 the private boxes were removed to make room for a pipe organ installation There have been a few more remodelings since then including the most recent one the first phase of which was completed in the spring of 2006 The total number of seats has been reduced through these remodels but the theatre has gained some structural and technological upgrades The seating chart above used to record ticket sales for a Friday night dance revue sometime prior to 1939 shows the original configuration for seats including the private box seats on the bottom flanking the stage In this configuration there appears to be around 750 seats in the theatre although the JMU Bulletin listed the hall as being able to hold 1000 The image below shows the stage from the main floor underneath the balcony You can tell that the box which used to flank the stage has been removed which places this photograph after 1952 Above students workers replace seats during various remodels Below a more recent facelift takes place Return to top A Hub of Activity The many uses of Millikin s original theatre Above The theatre stage set up for daily chapel service in the early years of Millikin University From opening of the university in 1903 the Albert Taylor Theatre then Assembly Hall has been the hub of student and faculty life at Millikin University In 1971 the Kirkland Fine Arts Center opened and took over as the main stage but the Albert Taylor Theatre continues to provide Millikin students and faculty with a venue for their events Over the more than 100 years it has existed the theatre has hosted a wide variety of programs and activities including commencements and baccalaureates classes and lecture series inter society contests and debates chapel and assemblies convocations classic and international film series Greek sings and talent shows amateur nights and variety shows theatrical productions and dance recitals student and faculty recitals concerts and guest performances funeral and memorial services Black Emphasis Week activities and student faculty forums fine arts series style shows and other departmental programs it was even the center ring for the JMU Circus one year Above Notices from the Decaturian Millikin s student newspaper on Black Emphasis Week activities above left the Style Show above and the year the Circus above right

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/albert-taylor-theatre (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Aston Hall | Millikin University
    the Woman s Hall from 1909 Millidek With the Permission of the Dean With women residents came the need for a set of rules The earliest pamphlets on the dormitory contained a description of the facilities floor plans rates and of course rules for residents The twenty one rules for original Woman s Hall residents were as follows Above From 1908 pamphlet page 1 The hours for meals are Week Days Breakfast 7 00am Luncheon 12 30pm Dinner 6 00pm Sundays Breakfast 8 00am Dinner 1 30pm Tea 5 30pm Except in cases of serious or protracted sickness a charge of ten cents each will made for meals sent to student s rooms In such cases trays must be taken to rooms and returned to the kitchen only by the housekeeper at the direction of the Dean Permission must be obtained from the Dean before taking a guest to a meal A charge of 25 cents for each meal will be made All students unless absent as provided in other regulations will be expected to be in the Hall not later than 7 30pm All students going out for the evening must ask permission of the Dean and have the chaperon or escort approved Students must also register time of departure and destination and on returning the time of arrival Soft slippers should be worn after 7 30pm Study hours are from 8 00am Noon 1 30 4 30pm and 7 30 10pm At these hours students are expected to study in their own rooms and to assist in keeping the house quiet Students will not be permitted to entertain student guests in their rooms during study hours Bathtubs must not be used during study hours With the permission of the Dean students may receive callers on Saturday and Sunday evenings Such guests are expected to leave at ten Students cannot entertain guest in their rooms over night without the permission of the Dean Other rooms will be furnished if practicable for which a charge of 25 cents will be made Students must turn the lights out on leaving their rooms All lights must be out at 10 30pm College functions close not later than 10 30pm the time for annual functions being extended one hour Residents of the Hall are expected to return immediately at the close of such functions No inflammable cleaning fluids may be used nor cooking done in any of the students rooms Washing of clothing in the bathrooms is not allowed With the permission of the Dean washing may be done in the laundry Tacks and pins must not be driven into the wall or woodwork picture moulding is provided for hanging wall decorations Students will be responsible for daily care of their own rooms In addition each room will be thoroughly cleaned by the housekeeper with the vacuum cleaner once each month The telephone may be used by students with reasonable frequency They will not be called to the telephone during meal or study

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/aston-hall (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Christmas Vespers | Millikin University
    background and the richly robed wisemen kneeling and proffering their gifts of gold frankinsense and myrrh The balcony choir of faculty and alumnae under the direction of Mr Swarthout gave Sing O Heavens which was followed by the Recessional O Come All Ye Faithful A benediction with a choral amen concluded the ceremony Handel s Hallelujah Chorus was given as an organ postlude The chorals and solo numbers of Grace Record and Clarence Deakins after the processional led to the dramatic Gloria in Excelsis Deo by a solo quarter of Miss Vivienne Mosbarger Mrs Louise Helmick Preston McClelland and Jack Rubottom from the skylight of the auditorium and re echoed in turn by the five choirs in the balcony and on the stage 1923 The Tradition Solidified By 1923 the tradition of a Christmas Vespers put on by the faculty had become firmly entrenched among the prominent annual events on the Millikin calendar At a special meeting of the faculty that fall It was moved and voted that the Committee on Public Occasions be authorized to proceed with preparations for a Vesper Service like that of last year preceding the holiday vacation and rely upon financial support to the amount indicated from the faculty this to be raised by such assessment as might seem appropriate The Millikin faculty were now firmly commited into presenting the students and community with this annual gift and would annually assess themselves to provide the finances necessary to put the Vespers together until the tradition ended after the 1931 Christmas Vespers Solemnity and Beauty Mark Christmas Vesper Service Annual Affair to be Given This Afternoon at Four Thirty in Auditorium Episcopal Service and Lighting to Be Used Decaturian December 13 1923 p 1 Solemnity will characterize the Christmas vesper service to be given this afternoon at 4 30 in the chapel This annual gift of the faculty to the students and friends of the university has become a Millikin tradition with a definite significance for those who have ever attended the service emphasis added Tall white candles in stately candelabra will fittingly light the chapel The service has been so arranged as to tell the Christmas story in a beautiful panorama of song and picture The first episode will signify the prophecy of the coming Messiah In the second episode which might be called the Expectation the processional of students alumni and faculty will enter robed in black cassocks with white cottas and each carrying a lighted taper Glorious and triumphant in the third episode the Fulfillment of the Prophecy antiphonal choirs will echo and re echo the glad tidings of the Nativity Every person in the usually filled chapel will be a participant this afternoon if not actively at least in spirit for it is not to be a performance but a service impressive and devotional inspired by true emotion for the meaning of Christmas Vespers Attract Large Audience Solemnity and Charm of Impressive Christmas Still Lingers at Millikin Decaturian January 10 1924 p

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/christmas-vespers (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cookie Party | Millikin University
    Tabor School of Business Interdepartmental More Programs Graduate Programs PACE Accelerated Degrees Pre Professional English Language ESL Study Abroad Student Resources Staley Library Academic Calendar Registrar Academic Resources International Education Athletics Campus Life Residence Life Activity Calendar of Events Student Organizations Decatur Community Greek Life Kirkland Fine Arts Center Student Life Health Wellness Centers Facilities Campus Involvement Dining Residence Life Services Student Handbook Public Safety Information Technology Career Center Support Services Alumni Friends Get Involved Stay Connected Alumni News Quarterly Magazine Alumni Directory Featured Alumni Resources Alumni Events Alumni Calendar Homecoming Goodheart Event Founder s Day Lindsay Medallion Give To MU Give Ways to Give Millikin Fund Big Blue Club Patrons Society About Faculty Staff Directory At A Glance Mission Values Millikin History Employment Accreditation University Marketing Administration Office of the President Office of the Provost Student Development Board of Trustees Faculty Staff Directory Media Newsroom Calendar of Events Video Gallery Photo Gallery Press Kit Cookie Party University Archives You are here Home Campus Life Centers Facilities Staley Library About the Library University Archives Online Exhibits Cookie Party Cookies Cookies Cookies On December 13 1934 the first Christmas Tea was held in the browsing room of Gorin Library Hosted by the Millikin Dames an organization for women on Millikin s staff and wives of faculty members and trustees The expenditure for this first tea was 2 The Christmas Tea an annual holiday event in honor of Millikin students was held in the Gorin Library until 1960 The only exception being 1943 when the tea was held in Aston Hall to allow the Army Air Corps use of Gorin Library for their Christmas dinner The original teas were rather formal events with the use of silver tea services and members of the Millikin Dames as servers In 1960 the location of the tea was moved to the University Center In 1964 the Christmas Tea was renamed the Cookie Party The Cookie Party has been held in the Richards Treat University Center since its opening Student music ensembles have long provided the musical entertainment for the Cookie Parties Music at the Cookie Party is first officially noted in the cookie party records of 1947 with Professor Harold C Hess providing a string quartet with piano accompaniment of music appropriate to the Christmas atmosphere Music has been a continuous part of the Cookie Parties from that year to the present Some Cookie Crumbs 1946 War rationing dictated sugar for the cookies be bought with donated stamps 1947 Mrs Glen England baked a record 500 cookies 1953 The cookie party records note All dames who baked over 100 cookies were reimbursed at the rate of 2 cents per cookie for all those over 100 1979 The oddest recommendation appears Save throw away cookies for Askill s pet pig The Guests of Honor Millikin s Students The Millikin Dames and Friends of Distinction Eugenia Allin University Librarian replenishes the tea service at a Christmas Tea held in the Allin Room of the Gorin Library in

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/cookie-party (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Dance Card Days | Millikin University
    take home as a souvenir This exhibit features the Dance Cards from Millikin s past Dance Card for unknown dance Interior of card at left What is a dance card A dance card or ballspende is a card often decorative that is used by an attending woman to record with whom she will dance at formal dances and balls Though originating in the 18th century they became quite popular in the ballrooms of Vienna and elsewhere in Europe in the 19th century and remained popular at college dances in the U S into the 1920s lingering on into the 1930s in some cases including here at Millikin University The cards were designed to be worn on the wrist hence the long strings often attached to them or attached to the gown and would allow the woman to pencil in the names of gentlemen seeking a dance Though the cards themselves have long since disappeared from college dances the term is still sometimes used metaphorically as in is their room on your dance card meaning do you have some time for me Or in sports to refer to teams on the upcoming schedule as in who is on the team s dance card this season Even the term pencil me in is still in use today Note the tiny pencil attached to the card pictured above and the names penciled in on the inside of the card What is in the cards While some hold that Tarot cards can reveal the future the dance card can be even more revealing about the past Perhaps a bit more challenging than your typical primary source the tiny dance card is loaded with historical information It certainly provides a glimpse into the culture and society of its time but can also reveal specifics of time date location attendees traditions such as the same song appearing as the same dance year after year for a specific fraternity s dances popular menu choices of the time and so on Delta Sigma Phi March 1926 dance You will notice that the title page provides you with the date time and location of the dance and that it was for the Alpha Lambda chapter of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity the Millikin chapter opened in 1920 and remains active on campus today The next page on this dance card provides the menu for the dinner portion of the formal dance and reveals some of the typical formal dining fare of the 1920s The next two pages feature the numbered lines for each of the dances Notice that two of the scheduled songs for those dances are pre listed The 6th song of that evening was to be Dear Old Girl of Delta Sigma Phi and the 7th was to be the Carnival Dance Some dance cards would list songs for each numbered selection others would list the names of male fraternity members rather than song numbers so the woman would pencil in the song rather than the male partner

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/dance-card-days (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Dr. Charles Hale | Millikin University
    Student Life Health Wellness Centers Facilities Campus Involvement Dining Residence Life Services Student Handbook Public Safety Information Technology Career Center Support Services Alumni Friends Get Involved Stay Connected Alumni News Quarterly Magazine Alumni Directory Featured Alumni Resources Alumni Events Alumni Calendar Homecoming Goodheart Event Founder s Day Lindsay Medallion Give To MU Give Ways to Give Millikin Fund Big Blue Club Patrons Society About Faculty Staff Directory At A Glance Mission Values Millikin History Employment Accreditation University Marketing Administration Office of the President Office of the Provost Student Development Board of Trustees Faculty Staff Directory Media Newsroom Calendar of Events Video Gallery Photo Gallery Press Kit Dr Charles Hale University Archives You are here Home Campus Life Centers Facilities Staley Library About the Library University Archives Online Exhibits Dr Charles Hale Dr Charles E Hale 1938 2006 Millikin University s library staff members celebrate the life of their Director Emeritus Dr Charles E Hale who died on January 29 2006 Dr Hale served as director of the library from 1976 until his retirement in 1999 He guided the library through its relocation from Gorin Hall to its current home in Staley Library in 1978 a move which included the physical relocation of 145 365 volumes to the new building Dr Hale leads a caravan of volume laden shopping carts from Gorin Hall to the new Staley Library in 1978 Dr Hale at the old card catalog prior to its removal in 1993 Dr Hale also moved the library into the modern computer age Even while the library was still in Gorin it had been connected to the nationally networked cataloging database OCLC in the early 1970s By 1978 Dr Hale had the Staley Library staff working with the Illinois state wide online catalog LCS today s CARLI I Share By 1980 Millikin became only the third library in Illinois and the first academic library in the state to go public with LCS making about a half dozen terminals available to Millikin University students faculty and staff This meant that the library s catalog was all online long before the Internet In the early 1990s the concurrent cataloging of library materials in the old physical card catalog ended and it was removed to make room for more computers While Dr Hale kept Millikin s Staley Library on the forefront of technology and focused on the future of academic library services he also initiated efforts to preserve Millikin s past In 1985 Dr Hale initiated efforts to collect and store important documents pertaining to Millikin University s history in a centrally located archive This was the forerunner of today s University Archive located in Staley Library He also served on the advisory board and later as director of the Birks Museum housed in Gorin Hall The museum was founded for the purpose of storing and sharing timeless works of art and craft with the University as well as the community both local and global Dr Hale right foreground leads a tour through

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/dr-charles-hale (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Eugenia Allin | Millikin University
    Allin One Woman s Contribution to Millikin University The year was 1903 and James Millikin University was on the brink of opening its doors to students for the first time Before that could happen faculty and staff members had to be hired One woman Eugenia Allin was soon hired as the University s first librarian On her application for employment she wrote that from 1900 1903 she attended the University of Illinois where she received her education in Library Science Her education would serve her well as she tackled the task of starting a University library from scratch The very first book that she accessioned or made available for use was Charles Darwin s Animals and Plants Under Domestication She purchased two copies followed by one copy of The Origin of Species also by Charles Darwin By the end of the first school year 1903 1904 the library held 1 868 books none of which cost more than 5 00 per copy In addition to her responsibilities as the University s librarian she was the sole instructor in the School of Library Science According to the February 1904 University Bulletin she taught courses on library economy book sources book selection reference and book making During her time at the University Miss Allin saw many changes to the physical campus The library went from a suite of rooms in the Liberal Arts Hall now known as Shilling Hall to a much larger space in Gorin Hall by 1931 The reading room on the third floor of Gorin Hall was considered to be the most beautiful room on campus with its large fireplace built in seats and vaulted beamed ceilings Miss Allin played an integral part in the design of the new library specifying details for its functionality as well as its aesthetic appeal It came as no surprise then that she was granted Librarian Emeritus status after her retirement in June 1947 following 40 years of service 1903 1910 1914 1947 In October of 1962 a room was named and dedicated to her in Gorin Hall as recognition of her contribution to Millikin University The Eugenia Allin Room still exists though the room is now the University Archives in Staley Library Miss Allin continued as a patron of the University library for many years after her retirement She died in September of 1970 at the age of 93 This is the first Accession book for the library and this first entry in it is from 1903 The first book Miss Allin made available for use was Animals and Plants Under Domestication by Charles Darwin and that very book is still in the library collection This application for employment above looks typical at first glance If you look closely however you will see that the application asks for the height weight general health nationality and religion of the applicant Miss Allin is pictured here above in the early 1900s with faculty members who were friends as well as a few students Since

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/eugenia-allin (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • For Soul Only | Millikin University
    of Events Video Gallery Photo Gallery Press Kit For Soul Only University Archives You are here Home Campus Life Centers Facilities Staley Library About the Library University Archives Online Exhibits For Soul Only For Soul Only Black History at Millikin University The first African American organization at Millikin University was For Soul Only The organization was established in 1968 in response to an incident Details of the incident are not included in any Decaturian and are sketchy at best The group quickly became one of the most active and influential groups on campus For Soul Only F S O regularly celebrated Black Emphasis and or Black History Week They sponsored many events annually including an annual formal ball a fashion show recreation nights Freshman Picnic a Food and Toy Drive Senior Picnic and Family Day They were also active within the Decatur community as volunteers to low income minority students and inviting the community at large to many of their programs on campus The Decatur community was undoubtedly present when many notable speakers from around the country spoke during Black Emphasis or History Week Albert Taylor Hall was often full to capacity and left standing room only The determination and will of the members of F S O did not end in the organization s infancy F S O made headlines in the Herald Review on April 25 1970 with an act of protest at the Sub Lower RTUC on April 24 Students locked themselves in the lower area of the building at 6 30 PM and did not emerge until 9 AM the following day Signs were placed over the windows of the building denying students use of the union because there was no building on campus specifically for black students The protest ended when the students were informed that they would be able to meet with the Millikin trustees F S O was granted permission to use the lower level of the Old Gym as their Culture House by the end of the spring semester 1970 F S O remained active and in the late 1970s moved out of the Old Gym into a house at 1034 W Williams St During the 1982 83 school year F S O became known as the Black Emphasis Association In the early 1990s there was a newsletter published called N Da Mix that started out with only black editors and writers but quickly became a multicultural publication Above Claude Brown most famous for his book entitled Manchild in the Promised Land spoke to an attentive audience in Albert Taylor Hall and was interviewed by the local media He spoke at the first Black Emphasis week event in 1968 Above Rev Ralph David Abernathy the successor to the Presidency of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference after Martin Luther King s assassination received a standing ovation to an overflow crowd in Albert Taylor Hall in 1970 Right Pictured is a group of students listening to a lecture during Black Emphasis Week Lecturers and

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/soul-only (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive