archive-edu.com » EDU » M » MILLIKIN.EDU

Total: 1195

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Freshman Camp | Millikin University
    Facilities Campus Involvement Dining Residence Life Services Student Handbook Public Safety Information Technology Career Center Support Services Alumni Friends Get Involved Stay Connected Alumni News Quarterly Magazine Alumni Directory Featured Alumni Resources Alumni Events Alumni Calendar Homecoming Goodheart Event Founder s Day Lindsay Medallion Give To MU Give Ways to Give Millikin Fund Big Blue Club Patrons Society About Faculty Staff Directory At A Glance Mission Values Millikin History Employment Accreditation University Marketing Administration Office of the President Office of the Provost Student Development Board of Trustees Faculty Staff Directory Media Newsroom Calendar of Events Video Gallery Photo Gallery Press Kit Freshman Camp Staley Library You are here Home Campus Life Centers Facilities Staley Library About the Library University Archives Online Exhibits Freshman Camp The Freshman Experience Millikin Style From Millikin University s first freshman class of 136 in 1903 to its largest class of 660 in 2002 the experiences of the campus newest students have been memorable What are some of the similarities and differences in those initial experiences of Millikin freshmen The Freshman Beanie Introduced by a proclamation of the Student Council in 1922 the green beanie with the block M became a staple of the freshman wardrobe Purchased at the campus bookstore freshmen were required to wear the beanie until the end of basketball season The beanie was abolished for a short period during World War II and reinstated again in the 1950s The beanie s history at Millikin University ended in 1967 Presumably the Vietnam War movement and other concerns of the time took on greater interest than the green beanie Freshman Camp 1929 Special orientation activities for incoming freshmen began in 1929 with strictly on campus activities 1948 The first Freshman Camp took place at Camp Seymour a camp operated by the Illinois State YMCA One of the big events at the camp was the square dancing 1958 The camp moved to the Allerton Park 4 H Camp The square dancing tradition continued along with relay races a tug or war movies and discussion groups 1992 The First Millicamp is held 1997 First Week the current freshman orientation camp activity begins with the implementation of the MPSL Freshman Pride In 1917 the Freshman Sophomore Scrap became an annual activity for possession of the Freshman Flag Placed atop a flagpole amidst a great pool of mud the sophomores tried to prevent the freshmen from climbing the pole to retrieve the flag In 1920 the competition got the best of the game as an actual fist fight broke out Square dancing was a long standing activity of the Freshman Camp Neil Ewing athletic director of Eisenhower High School lent his calling expertise for a number of years The above photograph shows the 1966 camp square dance Even in the 1950s freshmen were engaged in group discussions led either by an older student or as it is today by professors One of the biggest challenges for parents when their children come to college is the initial goodbye Here

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/freshman-camp (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mil-Lincoln | Millikin University
    old Interestingly the T W Samuels Lecturer in 1979 George H W Bush would go on to become President of the United States so it could be said that Mr Samuels has quite a legacy of bringing U S Presidents to Millikin A Sculptor a Sculpture and a Site Once the funds had been appropriated T W Samuels chaired a commission that included Edward E Lindsay editor of the Decatur Herald and Review James A Hedrick Decatur s Mayor and Herrick B Hammond Chief State Architect The group first set about the task of selecting a sculptor for the project They quickly decided upon Fred Torrey of Chicago a former student and associate of famed Illinois sculptor Lorado Taft Torrey s wife Mabel herself a sculptor assisted the project by locating the perfect model an unknown male student at the University of Chicago who posed for her husband s sculpture Fred Torrey made two models of the Lincoln statue one seated and one standing which were displayed at the Decatur Public Library The public was then asked to vote on their favorite and the seated model won That left only a site to be chosen within Macon County and then Millikin University President J Walter Malone related the story of how Millikin was selected in the 1955 letter below found among his papers held by the University Archives Letter of J Walter Malone from his papers Mayor Hedrick and President Malone inspect the site preparations for the Lincoln Statue on Millikin s front campus October 24 1948 Dedication of the Lincoln Statue A Large crowd witnessed the unveiling of the statue on October 24 1948 The completed Lincoln statue weighing in at over 4000 pounds arrived on campus in late September and preliminary plans were made for a dedication ceremony to be held in mid October 1948 The Decaturian 21 May 1948 The Decaturian 24 Sept 1948 p6 The Decaturian 8 October 1948 p4 It was hoped that Governor Dwight Green would be the speaker at the ceremony but he had a schedule conflict and could not attend University of Illinois President George D Stoddard was then selected to be the main speaker George D Stoddard addresses the crowd on October 24 1948 Above The Decaturian 22 Oct 1948 p4 The Decaturian 29 Oct 1948 p7 Past and Future Illinois Presidents Although Illinois is the Land of Lincoln he wasn t actually born in the state but came to Illinois at the age of 21 Only one U S President was born in the Land of Lincoln and he visited the Millikin campus on three occassions As a young man of only 18 Ronald Reagan came to Millikin in October of 1929 and suffered what he recalled as one of the worst beatings of his life As a guard on the Eureka College football team Reagan squared off with Millikin tackle George Musso who would go on to be a Chicago Bears star and NFL Hall of Famer President Ronald

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/mil-lincoln (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Millidek | Millikin University
    for all and each student should possess a copy It will aid those who are already leaders in the college life to remain loyal to their own society and to the university and will awaken to more active life those who have not heretofore brought themselves forward and who have perhaps been hiding their light As the expense of an annual is large each student should show his enthusiasm and not rest until all copies have been disposed of The Decaturian Vol 3 No 6 February 1906 p 6 THE MILLIDEK It is not necessary for us to describe to our readers the proposed Millidek Our senior friends have explained it and propounded its merits repeatedly until we feel sure that almost every student could in a very creditable manner reproduce their single speech They have posted announcements and advertisements button holed us in the corridor until we feel sure they are in earnest and are going to give us something worthy of their efforts and of our consideration In short they are doing their part beautifully but how about us Are we responding to their calls The Millidek is not for the senior alone They are not asking us to assist them for selfish purposes but for the school When the book is published and is read by students and friends of the university and by strangers as well the thought of approval or disapproval will not be upon the class of 06 but upon the school as a whole Let each one feel that it is our book Even more that it is my book I must make it a success Well then if it is your book you must gather material The seniors do not hear all the jokes nor see all the ridiculous situations If each student connected with the school would hand in one good joke do you not see what that would mean for the book Have you sent yours in Hurry up before it is too late Then I want one of these books In later years when school days are past and care are multiplying it will be a source of a great deal of enjoyment to pick up a Millidek and have your mind refreshed by the recalling of old forgotten jokes You will there read names and see faces of friends almost forgotten You will in truth at spare time go to school once more and lives these times anew Can I afford not to get the Millidek One dollar and a half invested now to bring to you as interest in later days hours and hours of pleasure is a business proposition you can not well afford to miss R Original 1906 Millidek student editors all members of the class of 1906 Anne Morris Boyd Art Editor Estella Esther Bryant Literary Editor James D Moses Business Manager W R McGaughey Asst Business Mgr Don R Lehman Advertising Manager Trenna June Miller Editor in Chief Faculty Advisors to the original

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/millidek (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Millikin Mouthpiece | Millikin University
    a weekly and increased its page size to 12 x18 Orval Diehl and Lois Engleman of 1921 22 Decaturian The Decaturian would continue as a weekly except for a brief period towards the end of World War II until 1973 From 1973 until 1980 it became a bi weekly and then in 1980 reverted back to a weekly until 1984 when it once again became a bi weekly In 1987 the page size was changed to 11 x17 as it has remained to this day though it now is published roughly every three weeks in paper form and since 1998 it has also found an entirely new format as a web based news source known as The Dec Online with many of the articles from the paper being available online in addition to uniquely web based content such as blogs and the ability to comment directly to specific articles The girls did this As you can see from the section directly above this Lois Engleman served as Editor of The Decaturian in 1921 She was not the first woman to hold this position on the paper In the spring of 1907 the male editor of the paper decided to leave school early to pursue a business opportunity and so for the first time in the history of The Decaturian a woman s name would appear as Editor on the masthead Masthead from June 1907 Decaturian p8 Daisy Payne 1907 Millidek In fact this would be the only time until World War II where every staff position listed on the Masthead of a Decaturian issue would be held by a woman including Assoc editor Bonnie Blackburn who would later join the faculty and receive the letter above from I L Sears The editorial explaining this fact went on to point out that if anything in this paper displeases you say nothing about it but smile sweetly and say to yourself the girls did this and it is their first experience You can read the entire editorial on page 8 of the June 1907 issue by clicking on the button below However this situation lasted only for one issue It would be several more years before a woman was selected to be the Editor in chief for an entire academic year Printer s ink apparently ran in Miss Payne s blood though see the section below entitled A Millikin Mouthpiece Marriage The Daisy Payne Young Delta Delta Delta Scholarship at Millikin University is named in her honor The first woman student to be selected as full time editor of The Decaturian was Mary Parkinson in 1918 from THE DECATURIAN May 1918 page 9 Mary Parkinson 1919 Millidek Part of the reason so many women students applied to be editor was that this was during the first World War and by the spring of 1918 the male population on campus had been depleted by so many male students enlisting in the military A Millikin mouthpiece marriage The second Editor in chief of The Decaturian taking over after I L Sears had gotten it all started that first year was Dwight E Young He served in the position for the next two years fall of 1904 to spring of 1906 He then left Millikin to take a job as a reporter with the Decatur Herald becoming City Editor of that paper in 1907 He was a member of the class of 1907 though he did not graduate with them and by 1909 he had become engaged to one if its more prominent female members the aforementioned Daisy Payne She had graduated in 1907 and was teaching in Decatur The engagement of these two former Decaturian editors was appropriately announced to their unsuspecting friends at a tea party by having a paper boy deliver 50 extra editions of the Decatur Herald that contained the engagement announcement Of course the September 1909 issue of The Decaturian carried a story about the engagement that you can read by clicking the button below The wedding was set for November and the November 1909 issue of The Decaturian carried a long story about the wedding and several stories about returning alumni as so many had returned to Decatur for the nuptuals that it was almost like a homecoming weekend click button below Daisy Payne Young November 1911 Decaturian p 18 and Dwight E Young p 19 In 1920 Dwight became Editor in chief of The Evening Herald and The Morning Journal of Dayton Ohio Daisy also wrote a column carried in both papers from 1920 1938 She died in Dayton in November of 1945 In 1949 the two papers were bought and merged into The Journal Herald of Dayton and Dwight became both publisher and editor He relinquished the editor part of his job in 1959 but continued to write a column and serve as publisher until his death in April of 1967 DECATURIAN or TOKYO AMERICAN The Decaturian May 1905 page 6 In the spring of 1905 the above page appeared in the midst of the May issue of The Decaturian click on button directly above and was a follow up to a similar section that had appeared in the April 1905 issue click on button directly below The Tokyo American was the creation of Masuji Matsumoto from Tokyo Japan He had been a part of the Japanese exhibit at the 1904 World s Fair in St Louis the same Fair that I L Sears had attended with the Press Pass pictured above and then came to Millikin University as a Commerce and Finance student in January of 1905 He wrote several articles for The Decaturian often informational articles about life in Japan In the spring of 1908 he became the first International student to graduate from Millikin He returned to Japan and went into the banking business there Masuji Matsumoto 1908 Millidek The bulk of the articles in the American refer to the activities of what was known as the J M U Battalion A male student

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/millikin-mouthpiece (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Millikin's Buried Treasure | Millikin University
    Online Exhibits Millikin s Buried Treasure Millikin s Buried Treasure The Opening of the Cornerstone The laying of the cornerstone for Millikin University s main building now known as Shilling Hall took place on June 12 1902 A procession of officials made their way from the city s business district to the campus Included in the procession were the police fire department city and county officers and members of numerous Decatur lodges The campus area itself was crowded with throngs of local citizens I R Mills president of the Board of Managers began the official ceremony The Rev Dr William Penhallegon of First Presbyterian Church delivered the dedicatory address stating in part Decatur will have a new standard of measurement shall see things in their right relations as the result of the establishment of this university in our midst The Masonic fraternity of Illinois oversaw the ceremonies with Grand Commander George W Moulton reading prior to depositing articles into the copper box It has long been the custom on occasions like the present to deposit within a cavity in the stone certain memorials of the period at which it was erected so that in the lapse of ages if fury of the elements or the slow but certain ravages of time should lay bare its foundation an enduring record may be found by succeeding generations to bear testimony to the energy industry and culture of our time A list of the contents was read as they were placed in the box with the commander noting You will now deposit the casket in the cavity beneath the cornerstone and may the Great Architect of the universe in his wisdom grant that ages on ages shall pass away ere it again be seen by man Missing from the items was a photograph of James Millikin himself as he declined to allow one to be included As a matter of fact Mr Millikin did not appear on the platform with the other distinguished guests and speakers His presence was noted on the edges of the crowds prior to the ceremony s beginning A close friend attributed his absence from the platform to his innate modesty Above The letter to the Citizens of Decatur from President Albert Reynolds Taylor inviting them to participate in the fund raising efforts for the new university as well as the cornerstone ceremony Above The invitation to the ceremony sent to Masons from the Grand Lodge of Illinois is shown to the left Above Copies of the By Laws and Rules of Charter and a list of articles to be placed in the copper box for the cornerstone The certificate to the right was found in the Bible contained in the copper box Gertrude Mills was the daughter of I R Mills the first president of Millikin s Board of Trustees List with the names of those involved in the construction of the university were included in the copper box The list above contains the names of various foremen

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/millikins-buried-treasure (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Millikin's Second Decade | Millikin University
    Kirkland Fine Arts Center Student Life Health Wellness Centers Facilities Campus Involvement Dining Residence Life Services Student Handbook Public Safety Information Technology Career Center Support Services Alumni Friends Get Involved Stay Connected Alumni News Quarterly Magazine Alumni Directory Featured Alumni Resources Alumni Events Alumni Calendar Homecoming Goodheart Event Founder s Day Lindsay Medallion Give To MU Give Ways to Give Millikin Fund Big Blue Club Patrons Society About Faculty Staff Directory At A Glance Mission Values Millikin History Employment Accreditation University Marketing Administration Office of the President Office of the Provost Student Development Board of Trustees Faculty Staff Directory Media Newsroom Calendar of Events Video Gallery Photo Gallery Press Kit Millikin s Second Decade University Archives You are here Home Campus Life Centers Facilities Staley Library About the Library University Archives Online Exhibits Millikin s Second Decade Millikin s Second Decade a Highlight of Events of Note 1911 February 11 U S President William Howard Taft speaks in the Assembly Hall now Albert Taylor Theatre His audience included 100 Civil War veterans 1912 The new Gymnasium opens in the spring The Conservatory of Music opens in the fall 1913 July 1 Dr George E Fellows becomes Millikin s second president 1914 Accreditation is granted to the Decatur College and Industrial School by the North Central Association 1915 The state high school basketball tournament is held in the New Gymnasium First homecoming celebration is held in the fall 1917 Two drill companies are formed on the campus 1918 The Student Army Train Corps SATC is officially established and then dissolved a month later when World War I ends 1919 The One Million Dollar Endowment campaign is launched 1920 Dr Louis Holden Becomes Millikin s third president Tuition increases to 150 per year President Taft Visits Millikin President William Howard Taft spoke at Millikin University on Feb 11 1911 He was enroute to Springfield to speak at the annual banquet of the Lincoln Memorial Club Dr George Fellows Millikin s second president Photograph of President Fellows and his Inauguration program George Emory Fellows was inaugurated as the second president of Millikin University on Dec 9 1913 He served from 1913 1915 The Fellows Administration marked the only attempt to establish a school of agriculture on Millikin s campus The six week course elicited little response and due to high costs was cut Student Army Training Corps SATC In response to the first world war a Student army training corps was established on the Millikin campus Six green barracks complete with mess hall were constructed for the S A T C station at a cost of 30 000 The gymnasium served as an armory A simulated battlefield complete with trenches and foxholes was constructed north of the Conservatory in the area near the new science building and Kirkland Millikin University sent greetings and support to its student soldiers on a regular basis An example of one of the cards is shown on the right May Fete The annual May Fete took place beginning

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/millikins-second-decade (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Railroads | Millikin University
    The tracks also offered photographic opportunities albeit dangerous places to pose From 1919 Millidek From the 1920 Millidek Even when it came to academic pursuits early Millikin students saw the railroads as topic for study as several early students did their senior theses when this was still a requirement to graduate on topics ranging from the History of the Wabash to Freight Traffic on the ITS Even Engineering students got into the act creating working designs for various components involved in railroad streetcar equipment Top Scan of blueprint from Ralph E Jones Thesis the title of which is listed in his Senior Class entry from the 1910 Millidek above The 1930 31 Decaturian featured a weekly column entitled Across The Wabash The Dec 15 Sept 1930 p 5 Even as late as 1950 the railroads were providing inspiration as in the case below from the front page of an annual April Fool s edition of The Decaturian which were always filled with humorous phony news stories Purveyor of Presidents Three sitting U S Presidents have visited Millikin since the University was founded and the first two of those both depended upon the railroad to get to and from Millikin In June of 1903 President Theodore Roosevelt arrived as his special train was backed down the Wabash tracks that passed through campus School children and other Decaturites crowded the new campus behind ropes that left a path for Roosevelt to walk to a stage and officially dedicate the new university which would open that fall President Roosevelt center tipping his hat walks from his special train to stage through the roped off crowds The President giving his Dedication speech at Millikin Cover of the Dedication program June 4 1903 When the dedication ceremony ended the President s train took security and the band to the Wabash station while the President was carried by horse drawn carriage through crowds that lined Decatur streets until he arrived at the Wabash station to reboard his special train He gave another speech at the station President Roosevelt speaks to crowds gathered at the Decatur Wabash Station to see him off after he had dedicated Millikin University Just eight years later on Saturday February 11 1911 President William H Taft visited Decatur and gave a speech inside Millikin s auditorium today s Albert Taylor Theatre Taft had arrived on campus by motorcar after giving a speech in downtown Decatur but he would leave campus and head to Springfield via a special ITS train that was waiting for him in front of Millikin on West Main Street Taft s special ITS train awaits him on West Main Street in front of Millikin the towers can be seen in the background above the center of the first car photo courtesy of Dale Jenkins President Taft center shakes hands prior to boarding his train to Springfield on West Main Street photo courtesy of Dale Jenkins The cover of the February 1911 Decaturian with photo posed shortly before Taft boarded the special ITS train to Springfield The Rep McKinley mentioned in the caption he is the shortest person in the picture second person to the right of the President is Representative William B McKinley who also happened to own the Illinois Traction System Ronald Reagan was the third and most recent sitting President to visit campus in August of 1984 although his visit did not involve rail travel The Interurban Today s Millikin students are still readily aware of the old Wabash tracks as several times a day and night freight trains pass through campus on them as their horns blow and the ground on campus vibrates as the heavy cars pass They are also aware of the heavy automobile traffic on West Main Street as many need to cross it several times a day and they might even see a Trolley now a bus designed to look like a streetcar pass through campus but few if any have any idea that the center of that street once held iron rails and that electric streetcars and Interurban trains once passed regularly along the front of campus Views of West Main Street in front of campus buildings The top image is looking Northwest from the southeast corner of campus and the lower image is looking northest from the southwest corner The A shows where overhead cables ran overhead down the center of West Main for the electric Interurban trains streetcars while the B shows the rails in the center of the street The rails running in front of Liberal Arts Hall today s Shilling Hall on West Main St It is interesting to note the brick in West Main St as the portion of West Main that runs in front of campus will be returned to brick pavement in the summer of 2008 From the 1917 Millidek This picture of the homecoming parade in 1915 shows the rails going down West Main Street as they enter downtown Decatur From the 1916 Millidek The Interurban or Illinois Traction System later Illinois Terminal which regularly passed in front of campus going between Springfield and the Transfer House in Decatur began operating on Sept 17 1904 just a year and two days after Millikin University had first opened its doors William B McKinley and his associates had also bought and consolidated the local streetcar company into Decatur Railway Light Company in December 1903 Both DR L streetcars and the Interurban electric trains used the West Main Street railline and both continually sought Millikin student commuters AD from The Decaturian Nov 1904 p 23 AD from The Decaturian May 1907 p 19 The Decaturian September 1907 p 17 The Decaturian December 1920 p 29 AD from The Decaturian October 1909 p 29 AD from The Decaturian 28 Sept 1911 p 5 AD from the 1912 Millidek The Decaturian 29 Sept 1921 p 3 The Dec 29 Sept 1921 p5 The Dec 13 Sept 1926 p6 AD from the 1910 Millidek For a few of those

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/railroads (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Robeson at Millikin | Millikin University
    activities or HUAC that named close to a thousand people it believed supported the Communist party and its front organizations Paul Robeson s name was on that list In December of 1943 Paul Robeson had appeared before a meeting of Major League Baseball owners appealing for them to desegregate baseball After the meeting baseball commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis told reporters that there was no rule or agreement keeping African American players out of the majors yet it would still be three and half more years before Robinson made his debut In an ironic twist Robinson would later testify as the star witness against Robeson at a July 1949 HUAC hearing although the actual testimony was fairly mild and was more of an indictment of racism than of Robeson John Langdon Paul Robeson was scheduled to give a concert in Peoria the evening of Friday April 18th That Wednesday the Peoria city council unanimously passed a resolution that would not allow appearances within their city of any speaker or artist who is an avowed or active propagandist for un American ideology that was directed at Robeson s appearance scheduled for that Friday Robeson gave a concert in Champaign that Wednesday night it was at that concert that two Millikin students Faith Nansen and John Langdon invited him to Millikin Bruce Hayden Before Robeson took the stage Millikin student Bruce Hayden played the Meditation from Thais by Massenet on the violin Then Millikin University president Dr J Walter Malone introduced Paul Robeson stating that he had agreed to accept the invitation to come to Millikin because of his deep interest in students and better race relations Robeson then took the stage to a thunderous ovation welcoming him to Millikin even as much of the rest of the U S was lining up to make him feel unwelcome He was ably accompanied on piano by Millikin senior Peggy Apperson Dr J W Malone In fact Robeson marveled at how she was able to tranpose her accompaniment way down for me at first sight something I never have seen done before Peggy Apperson He did in fact go to Peoria that night but was not allowed to speak or perform publically in that city that night Paul Robeson was banned from performing in Peoria on April 18th 1947 because of his political beliefs It would be the first of many such occurrences in his performing career as many cities quickly followed Peoria s example But Robeson did in fact give a little known concert on that day before a large and very receptive audience An audience comprised of Millikin students faculty STUDENT REACTION AS EXPRESSED IN THE DECATURIAN From The Decaturian April 25 1947 page 1 Editorials from page 2 of the April 25 1947 Decaturian BECAUSE OF HIS DEEP INTEREST IN RACE RELATIONS The Decaturian April 25 1947 frontpage One of the reason s Paul Robeson had come to Millikin in the spring of 1947 was his deep interest in students and in

    Original URL path: http://www.millikin.edu/staley/about-library/university-archives/online-exhibits/robeson-millikin (2016-02-17)
    Open archived version from archive